Could this be possible ich on my betta?

Zephyrski

Hi everyone. I noticed my Betta having some white spots on him when I fed him tonight, could it be ich? Could a new plant have caused it?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? Currently 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Just a betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Tetra Betta safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did for an hour, I know it should've been longer now.. beginners mistake..
What do you use to test the water? Api test strips and api ammonia test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 4 pellets or however much shrimp he'll eat
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one
Do you feed frozen? Yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Tonight
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White spots, and he's recently resting alot at the bottom of the tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I raised the tank heater to 86
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? White spots and laying around

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) I first noticed little white dots on him when I fed him, then when I checked on him a little bit ago he was jsut laying at the bottom of his tank which isn't normal for him

Attachments

• 20211115_175348.jpg
    20211115_175348.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 17

Sokamix

Hi everyone. I noticed my Betta having some white spots on him when I fed him tonight, could it be ich? Could a new plant have caused it?

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 2 months
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? Currently 80
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Just a betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 50%
What do you use to treat your water? Tetra Betta safe
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I did for an hour, I know it should've been longer now.. beginners mistake..
What do you use to test the water? Api test strips and api ammonia test
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish? 4 pellets or however much shrimp he'll eat
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one
Do you feed frozen? Yes
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Tonight
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White spots, and he's recently resting alot at the bottom of the tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I raised the tank heater to 86
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? White spots and laying around

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) I first noticed little white dots on him when I fed him, then when I checked on him a little bit ago he was jsut laying at the bottom of his tank which isn't normal for him
That does look like early stages of ick. It’s better to catch it earlier than later good job. This article will help you. Good luck!! Ick (White Spot) - Bettaboxx

Zephyrski

That does look like early stages of ick. It’s better to catch it earlier than later good job. This article will help you. Good luck!! Ick (White Spot) - Bettaboxx
Thank you. I won't be able to get to pet store for any medicine so hopefully raising the heat with a big water change will help until then

Ksway

Thank you. I won't be able to get to pet store for any medicine so hopefully raising the heat with a big water change will help until then
Be careful Bettas don't like hot water, water change would be good, but I wouldnt raise temp I would just wait to get the medication. Works really well. The temp rise could have a worse effect on the fish. You have caught it really early so the Betta should be absolutely fine. Ich is easily treated !

Zephyrski

Be careful Bettas don't like hot water, water change would be good, but I wouldnt raise temp I would just wait to get the medication. Works really well. The temp rise could have a worse effect on the fish. You have caught it really early so the Betta should be absolutely fine. Ich is easily treated !
See, that's my problem. I've had lots of people recommend raising the temp without medication for now, and others like yourself say medicine with no heat. Ugh the options.
I've already have the heat at 84 and going up, I can't currently get anywhere for meds anyways so I hope by the time I do it won't be too late.
Would you happen to know if it's on the plant I just got from another tank, if it'll have an effect on my cycling tank?

Ksway

See, that's my problem. I've had lots of people recommend raising the temp without medication for now, and others like yourself say medicine with no heat. Ugh the options.
I've already have the heat at 84 and going up, I can't currently get anywhere for meds anyways so I hope by the time I do it won't be too late.
Would you happen to know if it's on the plant I just got from another tank, if it'll have an effect on my cycling tank?
Yes people always say raise the temp, this is one of those things that has been passed around for years. You have a fish that is currently fighting disease and to raise the temp is only going to stress them out more causing it to be more week. Bettas in particular dont like hot water and you have to raise the temp to a very high level for it to have an effect if any at all. I worked in a aquarium store for years and have treated many Bettas in poor health as they normally arrive in poor condition. The ich medication will definitely work, temp in my experience does nothing especially for fish that don't like a high temp (better used with discus that can deal with very high temps). Ich lives in the substrate and attaches on the weakend fish. You need to clean gravel or substrate do a water change and follow the ich medication protocol. The ich will fall of the fish back into the substrate where you will clean again after treatment. I have never had success with just temp raise and I've worked with thousands of fish. Ich isn't a very serious disease easily treated very rarely have I had a fish that has died from (unless it is a a really really bad stage)
Could of come in on the plant or could have been just on the fish when you bought it ? You are cycling the tank with the Betta in it? That's probably what caused the ich, ammonia and nitrites stressing the fish out which weakens it allowing the ich to take advantage. Keep measuring the parameters and doing water changes when ammonia and nitrite levels are high. Are you adding beneficial bacteria into the tank?

Zephyrski

Yes people always say raise the temp, this is one of those things that has been passed around for years. You have a fish that is currently fighting disease and to raise the temp is only going to stress them out more causing it to be more week. Bettas in particular dont like hot water and you have to raise the temp to a very high level for it to have an effect if any at all. I worked in a aquarium store for years and have treated many Bettas in poor health as they normally arrive in poor condition. The ich medication will definitely work, temp in my experience does nothing especially for fish that don't like a high temp (better used with discus that can deal with very high temps). Ich lives in the substrate and attaches on the weakend fish. You need to clean gravel or substrate do a water change and follow the ich medication protocol. The ich will fall of the fish back into the substrate where you will clean again after treatment. I have never had success with just temp raise and I've worked with thousands of fish. Ich isn't a very serious disease easily treated very rarely have I had a fish that has died from (unless it is a a really really bad stage)
Could of come in on the plant or could have been just on the fish when you bought it ? You are cycling the tank with the Betta in it? That's probably what caused the ich, ammonia and nitrites stressing the fish out which weakens it allowing the ich to take advantage. Keep measuring the parameters and doing water changes when ammonia and nitrite levels are high. Are you adding beneficial bacteria into the tank?
I don't think it could've been on him, I've had him for 2 months. He only got it when i introduced the moss.
However no, his tank is cycled fully and I have another tank with no fish with the same moss in it.
Yes I've added beneficial bacteria to both. I haven't changed the water on my new tank yet as it's still cycling, but my Bettas tank I regularly add it when I do a big cleaning.

Is there a certain ich medicine that you'd recommend? I also saw a few people talking about aquarium salt for treatment too.
Also I'm hoping a temp raise will atleast help somewhat until I can get to the store at the end of the week..

Cherryshrimp420

Just do a big water change. Drip the water back if you can. It looks like the beginnings of some growth but it can be anything, white dots doesn't necessarily have to be ick

The best cure is to just improve water quality and let the fish's immune system handle it. It should go away fairly quickly.

Zephyrski

Just do a big water change. Drip the water back if you can. It looks like the beginnings of some growth but it can be anything, white dots doesn't necessarily have to be ick

The best cure is to just improve water quality and let the fish's immune system handle it. It should go away fairly quickly.
Yeah it went off the fish in like 3 days. I think I'll still get some aquirum salt just to help fully get rid of anything he might be dealing with.

Cherryshrimp420

Adding salt is changing the parameters again....just keep things stable and the fishes will be fine. These growth are in every aquarium water, you can't "get rid" of it. A healthy fish will naturally keep them from colonizing their body

Zephyrski

Adding salt is changing the parameters again....just keep things stable and the fishes will be fine. These growth are in every aquarium water, you can't "get rid" of it. A healthy fish will naturally keep them from colonizing their body
Ooh okay. Much thanks

Top Bottom