Could this be it for my betta?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by brodylane1122, Dec 18, 2012.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

So, I've had Scooter, my crowntail Betta for around 9 months. He was a fully grown store-bought betta, so I'm sure he was already a year or so old.

Scooter is usually a very active Betta, meaning he swims around quite a bit. But the last week or so, he's starting hiding in his cave all day and only comes out when it's feeding time. Also, he tends to lay at the bottom a lot in awkward positions. And there have been a few days where he hasn't seemed interested in the food.

Scooter's tank has been extremely stable over his life with us (he's my wife's fish! :) that I take care of). Could he be coming to the end of his natural life? Everything else about him looks normal. I don't see anything out of the ordinary with his body or anything.

All info is in my profile.

2. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

I don't have any really good advice for Scooter, just well wishes that he's fine and just going through a funny mood. Have you tried different foods? I find my Gabriel absolutely LOVES frozen blood worms and his freeze dried tubifex worms and will do almost anything aside from jumping through hoops to get to it.

3. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I have a Betta who likes to lay on the gravel in odd positions also. He's been doing this for quite some time and seems fine. The one difference though is my Betta is always interested in eating.

4. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

And most of the time Scooter is all about eating as well!

He does the same. Some very odd positions at times.

5. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Could he be doing yoga?

6. c

chenay83 New Member Member

He is probably coming to the end of his lifespan. :( Most people who go into the store and buy bright colorful betas don't realize they are buying older fish. Most of them are passed their breeding high and are ready for retirement.

7. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Which I thought could be the situation. But I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks!

8. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Aw, sorry to hear about Scooter. I'm sure you're doing everything you can for him.

It almost sounds like he's shying away from light. Perhaps turn off the tank light. Even if it's not the light that is bothering him, turning it off will help ease stress.

I hope he gets better.

9. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

He has no light in his tank. He never has.

10. c

chenay83 New Member Member

Hey I was hoping for an update. How is Scooter?

11. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

When I got Houdini he was older than I originally thought and I ended up losing him sooner than expected :(

Henry my latest boy does randomly lie in some very strange positions but everytime I go over to his tank he comes flying over to say hello.

Maybe try daily water changes and that might perk him up a little

12. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Much the same. Still hanging in there.

13. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

Scooter passed today.

14. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice