Could This Be Ich?

Chris92xx

Reaction score
I noticed a tiny white spot on the top of my betta today. I don’t know if it is ich or not.
While it looks like it I am hopeful it is not for several reasons.

I have been doing daily 25% water changes until my tank cycles.

My tank still has traces of methylene blue in it. From my calculations it still has about half a drop left in the tank.

I have been maintaining a very low salt concentration until his fins heal up, only 1 aquarium salt crystal per change.

I am adding small amounts of garlic extract which is supposed to be anti parasitic.

I also am floating a small almond leaf in the tank.

I am really hoping this is just maybe a scrape. I checked a fake log before I put it in, but he is in and out a lot.

Ammonia: 0.1 ppm
Nitrates: 20 ppm
Nitrite 0.25 ppm
pH: 6.6
Temp: 78 degrees
It has been constant at these levels for about a week now (roughly since getting him).

Sorry for the poor pic quality. This was about the best I could get. Its the small white dot in the very middle. Its the only one I see. Could it possibly be Columnaris??

Attachments

Zigi Zig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello
If you fish tank has not complete cycle and you doing water change everyday is already mistake..Your tank needs healthy beneficial bacteria and balanced aquarium relies on beneficial bacteria to break down fish waste. The fish probably be stressed as they carry the brunt of the cycling process. A good way to reduce the stress is to do small water changes every few days. About 10-15% should be changed, any more and you will be taking away the ammonia and nitrite that the bacteria are trying to feed on.

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't look like Ick or Columnaris. Judging by the location, along the spine, probably just a tiny nick W/fungus.
No worries.

SaltyPhone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ich replicates very quickly. If it is ich you would notice an increasing number of spots. If not it may be a case of said fish bumping into a piece of decor or whatnot. Either way just keep a close eye on him and post any changes in condition.

Old Salty

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My betta had the EXACT same white thing in almost the exact same spot, and I'm still dealing with "something" unknown even though the spot fell off him while I was watching. That was 3 days ago, it hasn't come back, but there are what appear to be "scales" standing out along his top ridge now, they're translucent and hard to see. The last 2 threads I've posted 3 months apart are both regarding this mysterious white speck. I'm sure it's not ich now, though I wondered that too for a minute. I'm on day 2 of treating mine with betta Revive, should take care of fungus or bacteria. Hope it gets sorted out soon, I don't enjoy this mystery!

A201

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
@Old Salty, Your Betta might be fighting off a virus, rather than a parasite or bacteria. What you are describing really doesn't sound like either. That might explain why no parasite explosion has occured or the quick agonizing death of a bacterial infection.
Fish can contract Iridovirus types, even Herpes types.
No cures available, only the fish's immune system. Hope things get better soon.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom