Could this be ammonia burn?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by JTTSDBEMV, Jan 1, 2013.

1. JTTSDBEMVNew MemberMember

I was just glanced at my firemouth and I reliazed alone his tail and anal fin there is a little bit of black. Is this possibly ammonia burn? I just did a water test 3 days ago and the ammonia was 0ppm. I did a 10% water change yesterday and do a 25% weekly water change. I haven't noticed black on his fins before. I would do a water test but I ran out and my LFS was closed today. I'll do it as soon as possible tomorrow. If this does look like ammonia burn I'll do a water change tonight.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

It's a bit hard to see in the pictures but if you look close on his tail and anal fin you'll see black along the edge. From the pictures you'll probably think I'm imagining things =P. Actually looking at him it is a significantly darker. Could this possibly be ammonia burn?

2. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

It takes more than a day or two for fins to turn black from ammonia, so I would say no :) Plus I can't see what you're talking about anyway ;)

3. JTTSDBEMVNew MemberMember

Yes, it didn't really show up in the pictures. I took them on my iPad :) It's much darker on him, but since it takes longer for ammonia burn to show up it must not be it, as I haven't noticed it until just now. Sets my mind at ease, thanks!

4. tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

It could be just his way of showing stress. I have heard that some fish can develope black spots naturally and or because of stress. I would keep an eye on his interactions with other tank mates. Otherwise I doubt it is anything too serious.

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

What are you using to test your water? if possible you should get the API liquid master test kit for fresh water. It is more accurate than tester strips, it is more expensive but last much longer and is well worth it for the sake of your fishies!

6. JTTSDBEMVNew MemberMember

I do use that test kit :). I've always liked it better than the test strips.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice