Could this be a baby nerite snail?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by bizaliz3, Aug 9, 2015.

1. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

the problem is this is a fresh water tank. And I thought they only reproduced in salt water. I have tons of nerite eggs, but never expect any of them to hatch because its fresh water....

I have not added anything to this tank that could have had invasive snails on it. The only thing living in it are my CPO dwarf crayfish and two nerite snails. All the plants and decor are fake and the tank has been running for 5 months...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Do you have any other tanks?

3. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I do have a lot of other tanks, but nothing has been moved into this tank and I have no real plants....
    And I haven't seen any in any of my other tanks.

4. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Weird. I honestly don't know. Like you, I think they will not reproduce in freshwater.

5. bizaliz3Fishlore LegendMember

I'm so torn! I want to keep it in there and see if its some miracle nerite baby, but I also want to get it out of there immediately in case it turns out to be an invasive species of some kind. Lol

6. alirayFishlore VIPMember

Congrats on the new baby snail. I would let it grow up enough to figure it out. Even if it turns out not to be it is too young at this point to lay eggs I would think. I hope you have some algea in there for it to eat. Supposedly ghost shrimp babies will not survive in freshwater, but I have a couple of them in each tank that have been in there way to long to only be 1/2 inch long. ,and I see berried females in all the tanks. They were bought all on the same day about 8 months ago from the feeder tanks. I hope it is a baby nerite, that would be really neat. Alison

7. Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

It's spiral is too pronounced to be a nerite, looks like a bladder snail to me personally. Also, ime, nerites always have a dark foot. No idea how it got in there since you haven't added anything....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. alirayFishlore VIPMember

I just looked up pictures of baby zebra nerite snails and some of them look like yours if you scroll down to some of the real young babys and some of those have the light foot. maybe it darkens as they get older? I would still wait till you are sure. Alison

9. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Juvi nerites do not look like adults. Just wanted to throw that out. I'm not sure what you have there. Wait till it matures and see how it turns out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice