Could snails be causing my cycling problems?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by riptide904, Jan 7, 2013.

1. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I've had a tropical tank going for 5-6 months with 3 fish in it. I set it up before I knew about cycling, so I didn't get a chance to cycle it before adding the fish. I bought a water testing kit last week, and was surprised to find ammonia and nitrite (about .25ppm each). I did a 25% change, the levels didn't drop. In two days I did a 50% change, but the ammonia and nitrites were back up to .25 ppm the next morning. I set up a goldfish tank around the same time period as this one, and it has been cycled for about two months now. The biggest difference I see is that my tropicals have about 40 pond snails and more on the way. Could they be affecting the ammonia?

2. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

It's quite possible. Are you over feeding your fish too? The more you over feed the more ponds snails will appear.

I had a minor problem with it one time and I just stopped feeding the fish for a week.

3. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

It sounds like overfeeding for sure enough where even your snails are over populating, and are you vacuuming your stones to get rid of excess waste?

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Have you done any filter maintenance lately? If so what did you do?

5. riptide904Valued MemberMember

I don't think so, but I'll try to cut back a bit and see if it helps
    I use a gravel vacuum on the tank weekly, so yes
    Not within the last few weeks. I have a filter than uses 3 cartridges at a time, and I generally rinse and/or replace one of them every month if they start looking nasty and green.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice