Could seachem alkaline buffer be killing fish?

michaelsf90

This year I made a foolish attempt to try to achieve a ph and gh and kh that wasnt water from the tap. I have corys and danios which will thrive in my soft water from the tap and rabbit snails which love rock hard water. Anyway I was using equilibrium in my shrimp tank so decided to raise the gh for my plants in my main soft water tank. Fatal mistake. Lost some Cory's due to the change in gh and ph to what I'm guessing was ph shock. I lost 3 and 3 survived. So I reverted back to my water which is buffered with crushed coral

Anyway I have alkaline buffer as my kh from the tap is 0 or 1. So I add a tiny tiny amount when doing water changes to achieve a kh of 2. The ph in the tank is buffered to between 7 and 7.2 with crushed coral and the alkaline buffer which is only added to fresh water during water changes. I keep the ph stable at that. Never higher than 7.2 since the incident with the Cory's dying

I got 3 new corys once my water was settled. One has literally stuck to the glass majority of the time and like seemed to fall asleep against the glass and some weird things. Now its doing the same as those that suffered ph shock did. The other 5 Cory's are totally fine and all the danios. The ph has been stable and kh is always between 2 and 1. Could it just be that one cory really doesnt like my water? I've been tempted to let the water be at a very low non existent kh but the ph swings bother me and the snails would just die due to poor water conditions for them

Bwood22

So it's just the new corys with the issues?
What water parameters were the corys bred and raised in?

If your water is softer from the tap and you never had these issues with corys before, try seeing if they do better with that water(maybe in a separate tank, bucket, container etc.)

You may need to slowly acclimate them to the harder water if they aren't adjusting well.

Just a thought.

michaelsf90

I wouldnt call the water I have now hard. Gh is low at 2 or 3. Kh is 2 and ph is 7.2. From the tap its gh 2 or 3, kh 1 and ph 6.6. The ph in the tank when I come to do a water change is usually 7.0. The kh can be or 2 and gh is 2 or 3. The new corys have only ever been in that water that is buffered. Not the water from the tap. I drip acclimatised them. Theyve been in the tank around 4 weeks or so

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies
Views
richiep
  • Question
Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies