Could rockwool kill my fish?

JMurder

I’m just getting a 5 gallon planted tank started. I did a fishless cycle. Once I added fish they all did well for a while and then all slowly started dying one by one. My water parameters were all fine and the fish had no visible signs of traum, except some of them had reddish gills. I have not added more fish because I want to figure out my problem first. Here’s my question. I noticed that a couple small pieces of rockwool had somehow been dislodged from one of the plants. Could this have been what killed of my fish? I imagine that rockwool would at the very least irritate the gills.

Thanks.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I’m just getting a 5 gallon planted tank started. I did a fishless cycle. Once I added fish they all did well for a while and then all slowly started dying one by one. My water parameters were all fine and the fish had no visible signs of traum, except some of them had reddish gills. I have not added more fish because I want to figure out my problem first. Here’s my question. I noticed that a couple small pieces of rockwool had somehow been dislodged from one of the plants. Could this have been what killed of my fish? I imagine that rockwool would at the very least irritate the gills.

Thanks.
I haven't done it, but I had heard of someone who couldn't get it all off, so just stuck it in, and they didn't have any losses because of it. But I'd wait for first-hand opinions.

JMurder

I didn’t remove ANY of the rockwool. It was fully buried in the substrate and the couple of pieces of rockwool got dislodged when I was repositioning my Redmoor wood decoration. I pulled out the pieces that had broken free and reburied rootzone. I don’t want to take them out and restart because the roots have spread a bunch and even my microsword is slowly starting to spread.

thanks

Jerome O'Neil

Red gills is usually a sign of heightened ammonia levels. Five gallons of water can be kind of unstable, particularly in new tanks. Have you checked levels recently? And did you monitor them after adding the new fish?

JMurder

I was testing the water daily and only ever saw tiny traces of ammonia. My water parameters were NOT the problem.

Jerome O'Neil

I was testing the water daily and only ever saw tiny traces of ammonia. My water parameters were NOT the problem.

What kind of test were you using?

JMurder

I have the API master kit (pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). I also have the API KH test kit. My numbers have all been where they should be. I’m running the kits correctly, I was a biology major in college and took more chem classes then I needed just because I enjoyed them. Major nerd!

Mudminnow

I've seen fish stores keep their plants in the rock wool they came in so that they are ready to sell. And, often, there are fishes in the tanks with these plants. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to cause too many problems.

On the other hand, I often find a fair bit of osmocote in the rock wool when I open up the wool to remove my plants. I would think that much osmocote might leach out of the rock wool and possibly cause some issues.

DoubleDutch

Weird that you're seeing tiny traces of ammonia if the tank is cycled.
What fish are we talking about ?

JMurder

I had 2 danios and 2 tetra. I started with 1 danio everything was fine so I added another danio and the 2 tetras about a week later. They were fine for a week and then started dying one by one. I didn’t see the ammonia trace until 2 had already died. And when I say trace it was a very very low reading. The pH got low, 6.8 from my oversized piece of Redmoor wood. I know it’s a little low but don’t think it’s low enough to kill the fish.
Thanks.
I've seen fish stores keep their plants in the rock wool they came in so that they are ready to sell. And, often, there are fishes in the tanks with these plants. From what I can tell, it doesn't seem to cause too many problems.

On the other hand, I often find a fair bit of osmocote in the rock wool when I open up the wool to remove my plants. I would think that much osmocote might leach out of the rock wool and possibly cause some issues.
I’ll ask the lfs owner if he uses osmicote in his plants, thanks for the possible explanation. We’ll figure this out. One way or another.

DoubleDutch

I had 2 danios and 2 tetra. I started with 1 danio everything was fine so I added another danio and the 2 tetras about a week later. They were fine for a week and then started dying one by one. I didn’t see the ammonia trace until 2 had already died. And when I say trace it was a very very low reading. The pH got low, 6.8 from my oversized piece of Redmoor wood. I know it’s a little low but don’t think it’s low enough to kill the fish.
Thanks.

I’ll ask the lfs owner if he uses osmicote in his plants, thanks for the possible explanation. We’ll figure this out. One way or another.
Did the Ph crash ? Do you have sortwater ?

JMurder

The pH got down to 6.8 but it was a slow crawl down, not what I would call a crash. The water here is very soft.
Thanks.

Just got back from lfs and no osmocote.

Revan

Rockwool most definitely did NOT cause what you’re seeing here. Rock wool would take a while to start flaking up, and would probably end up getting cleaned by the filter.

Thunder_o_b

Just for informations sake would you please post the waters readings?

JMurder

It’s been about 2 weeks since the last fish died. I’ve just been letting it run without fish so I have not been testing the water. I don’t think posting the water parameters now will tell us much about what happened 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I went and got 3 danios from the lfs and introduced them super super slowly. I’ll test the water in the next hour or so and post my findings.
Just for informations sake would you please post the waters readings?
The current water readings are:
pH 7.0
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
ppm GH/KH 53.7
The 3 danios have only been in about 16 hours. Fingers crossed.

JMurder

This morning one of the danios is missing. He must of got stuck in the redmooor wood. It has tons of tunnels and crevasses. Tested the water got ammonia = 0.25 and nitrite = 0. Is .25 enough to kill a zebra danio? I’ll get busy doing a water change now. Is 10% water change enough? I also have to pull the Redmoor wood back out, again, and try to recover the dead danio.

Thanks.
This morning one of the danios is missing. He must of got stuck in the redmooor wood. It has tons of tunnels and crevasses. Tested the water got ammonia = 0.25 and nitrite = 0. Is .25 enough to kill a zebra danio? I’ll get busy doing a water change now. Is 10% water change enough? I also have to pull the Redmoor wood back out, again, and try to recover the dead danio.

Thanks.
Update: Took out the Redmoor wood and searched it for dead a dead fish….and nothing to be found. At this point I start checking the nightstand the tank is on and the floor around it, thinking he could of jumped out yesterday when I had the lid off….nothing. Finally, I checked the false back and there he was. I had to take everything apart and pull out the bags of carbon and biomax that I had placed in the back.

Are danios known jumpers? He had to of jumped out of the water about an inch and slip through a .25 inch (maybe less) gap in between the lid and false back. Crazy!

ProudPapa

This morning one of the danios is missing. He must of got stuck in the redmooor wood. It has tons of tunnels and crevasses. Tested the water got ammonia = 0.25 and nitrite = 0. Is .25 enough to kill a zebra danio? I’ll get busy doing a water change now. Is 10% water change enough? . . .
  • 0.25 ppm of ammonia is within the margin of error, and no, it's very doubtful that it hurt the fish.
  • Enough for what? If you mean to get the ammonia down, if it was a problem I'd recommend a bigger water change. I can't think of any circumstances where I'd recommend anything less than 25%.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
w3amz
Replies
Views
Repolie
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views