Could pond plants be used in aquariums?

xARIZ0NAx
could pond plants be used in aquariums.

gremlin
It would depend on the plant, the size of the aquarium, and what light is available. Some pond plants simply grow too large for most aquariums. Also, a lot of the plants need more light than is usually available in a house.

xARIZ0NAx
Dino
Lettuce does best under high light and very little water movement.

petlorilea
I have a lily pad in my 55 gallon gourami/barb tank

lily pad.jpg

xARIZ0NAx
Somethinglike that would be perfect. I've truest java moss and anacharis but they kept sinking. Also anacharis never do good on my tank they all ways die.

petlorilea
I didn't plant it right away, so I rinsed it off and dropped it (plastic pot and all) into the aquarium....no extreme sediment escaped. HOWEVER: I thought it would be better to remove the pot that it came in and the second it touched the water the soil began to disperse through the water. It took nearly a week to clear, and that's with an eheim 2217 canister. I piled aquarium rock around it and at first didn't appreciate the 'volcano' in the tank but now I can focus on the pads. I have to rake the rocks every couple of weeks to cover the roots that the gourami uncover. The only thing that I would do differently would be plant it with the original pot....and I'm considering a second one!

skybluesam1
Yes you can grow pond plants in a fish tank however the fish tank will have to be big in most cases and have quite a lot of surface area at the top. You also need really good lighting as the plants that are generally in a pond use a lot of lighting. If you still want to go ahead with growing pond plants in your fish tanks then I suggest you read the list below that I have made for you .

Fairy moss - Have some of this in one of my tanks at the moment and is doing good.
Water Hyacinths - Also have some of these however they are seriously hard to grow and require at least 6 hours light per day preferably 14-16 hours. I also have them all in cold water so do not know how they would react if you was to put them in a tropical tank. You might also have a little bit of trouble getting them if you live in a southern state as according to the internet they are prohibited there due to them being a weed or something like that .

I also think that there is one called hornwort or something like that. That is easy to grow in your fish tank however be wary with this as I have heard from a few people that it will take over your tank in a matter of days.

Good luck in finding a good pond plant .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JustAFishServant
Replies
Views
Lynn78too
Replies
Views
bentaz
Replies
Views