Could Opal be depressed?

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I posted a few days ago that my male Opal has been sick; just sitting at the bottom of the tank barely moving, and hardly eating. He still isnt moving much but he has eaten a few pellets over the last few days. Could he be depressed?
We got another betta, Flame, a few weeks ago and put him in a tank next to Opal. Could he be jealous? The only other thing different is that we started using a heat lamp a few weeks to keep the tanks temp warm and stable.
I'm just at a loss because I thought I would have lost him days ago but he is just staying the same.
What can I do if he is depressed?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Doubt it would be depressed if you are checking up on him a lot and he has a new neighbor. I saw your other posts but didn't think until now, you said he was fine before the lighting? Have you tried moving him away from it? Also you said heat lamp? Do you know what the water temp is at?

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As you said that Opal was doing great without a heat lamp, and now since he has one, he might be depressed with the sudden changes... as suggested by blkdeath75, see if he turns up his mood when u remove the lamp, if still he doesn't, then indude a divider which would completly hide your new betta, Flame (if am not wrong) from him and then see, if there is change in his behaviour.... and please check the temp too..

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The temp with the lamp is usually about 24*C, I have a digital thermometre on each. I have tried putting a divide between the tanks so he couldn't see Flame but he didn't improve. Will it make him sicker if I suddenly have him in cold water again?

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Should I take away Opal's heat light?

So Opal is still no better. Since it seems that he got ill a few weeks after I gave him a heat light, should I experiment and take away the light and see how he goes? Or will that make him sicker? I really grasping at straws here I just don't know what to do! :'(

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any way you can invest in a couple of larger tanks for them, maybe a 10 gallon divided? I've never seen a betta happy in a 1 gallon bowl.

I agree that the heat lamp is probably the issue.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you're already getting responses to your other thread, which includes this topic, you don't have to start another one. It will only get confusing for people and it's better to have all of the opinions/information contained in the one thread.

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Do not put him directly and all of a sudden into cold water..... add cold water(not very cold) little by little for every half an hour.... make sure that the temp doesn't fall down beyond 74 degrees.... hope it helps....

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
ok then, but that did really help me at all.

*didn't help. my mistake

Good morning. I've merged your back to back posts to save some space on the forum. Don't forget there is an EDIT key at the bottom of every post that you can use for corrections and additional thoughts.
Thanks!
Ken

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have merged two of your threads since they are dealing with the same fish and issues. It will be a lot less confusing to other members.
Thanks!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads