Could my tank support these things?

ollyaaa
Hi!

Could a ten gallon support 3 small communities of

Cory
Kuhli

And shrimp (what type would be best please?)

The floor would be covered with moss (java) and it would be either undergravel or external.

Ty guys

olly

jsalemi
So long as you don't go too far over the 1" per gallon, you could be ok. Corys are usually 1.5" - 2", I believe the kuhli's get to about 4", and shrimp (small, like ghost or cherry) have very little bio load. So you could have 3 corys and a kuhlI or two, and the shrimp. Just monitor your water more carefully, testing every couple of days.

Tom
You could get away with it, since coolie loaches have such a low bioload compared to other fish. But remember to to add the corys first, then the coolies, so the tank isn't put into a shock and have a spike with anything.
Tom

sirdarksol
I know many loaches are invert-killers. Are kuhlis like that?

Tom
I know many loaches are invert-killers. Are kuhlis like that?

That is a negative. The only loaches that eat snails are part of the botia family, like clowns and yoyos.
Tom

sirdarksol
Thanks for the distinction.

COBettaCouple
Saw some baby kuhlis at wallyworld yesterday.. I wish I had the space to have taken those little beauties home.

ollyaaa - I'd definitely recommend an external filter for the tank since you're looking at a tank of bottom-dwellers. Cherry shrimp are great little shrimp and the ones that I would recommend for shrimp.

Butterfly
The only problem I forsee is that both Corys and Kuhlis inhabit the bottom of the tank the majority of the time, especially when sleeping and it could get a little crowded.. Kuhlis also need to be in groups of at least 3. Both are awesome little fish
carol

ollyaaa
HI guys!

Thanks for your replies.

I would aI'm to keep the smallest number of each possible,

I'm thinking 3 corys, 3 kuhlis and 3-5 cherrys.

I'm trying to find an external filter, but its not easy doing things on the cheap (I'm a student )

Thanks again for advice, you guys are very helpful.

I've decided against keeping dwarf cichlids, might as well keep it simple but interesting.

Going to add a few tetras too I think.

My main concern is that there would not be enough food available for so many 'bottom dwellers' .

But Ill invest in come cat fish food.

Cheers again.

Olly

0morrokh
3 Cories an 3 Kuhlis plus shrimp would be an awesome tank. I wouldn't add tetras cause you need at least 6 of them and 6 tets plus cories and kuhlis would be overstocked.

If you have a petco or petsmart near you you can get a small hob filter fairly cheap.

You definitely need sinking food for the cories and kuhlis, and the shrimp will eat it as well. Btw Omega One makes the best fish food followed by Hikari, so get one of those brands if possible.

JMatt1983
can't get much cheaper than that

ollyaaa
I'm from the uk

lyndatu
Yes, I think it can house these great fish. Just remember: 1'' of fish per gallon of water to avoid overcrowding!

Shrimp..............cherry shrimp would be nice.

Good luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Big Red
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
RogueAgent94
Replies