Could my oscar be stunted?

1. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

I got my oscar "Gulliver" 3-4 months ago from Petsmart. He had been raised in the Petsmart tanks from a 2 inch baby. He was 7-8 inches when I got him, and I haven't noticed any noticeable growth since then. He still is about the same size. I know that oscars are supposed to grow extremely fast (around an inch per month) but does their growth slow down when they reach a certain point? I am worried Gulliver may be stunted. I don't mind, because he's a great pet and is healthy otherwise, but things might not work out long term in my tank when his tankmates reach their adult sizes which will be 10-14 inches.... Could anyone please advise?

Thanks,
    Kate

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

aww dont worry about the bugger!!!!!!!
    after 8 inches or so, they slow right down as does the metabolism....their first year is the fastest growth...can you share updated pics of the boy? miss mine so much!!!

3. brennan2010 Initiate Member

I agree with Shawnie. I have 2 oscars that grew to 7-9 inches but after the first year it slowed way down. And I wouldnt worry about his tankmates cuz most oscars can fend for themselves and rule the tank most times.

4. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks guys :) That's really good to hear. I always hear what fast growers they are, and I kept worrying why mine doesn't seem to be growing.

Shawnie, I snapped a few pics for you yesterday :) The lighting is really bad since the light fixture on the tank is broken though, lol.

Here's Gulliver:

Attached Files:

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

he looks fabulous kate!!!!!!!!!!!!! I adore him!!!!!!!!!
    yes please dont worry....its very normal for him to slow down.....but I do recommend taking out the driftwood ..as beautiful as it is, he will hurt himself on it from somersaulting and just bouncing around the bigger he gets....oscars are nuts ....

6. eiginh Well Known Member Member

I agree with the rest, they really slow down after their first year! Nice pictures! An LFS owner also told me that you can tell the sex of the oscar by noticing a bump/mole on their chin. I think males have them and females do not or vice versa. Not too sure if that's true though.

7. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Shawnie :) Thanks for the tip about the driftwood. What did you decorate your oscar tank with? Did you have any decorations or do they need a bare tank? Oscars are nut, lol. Last night when I fed Gulliver he jumped out of the tank for the food and completely soaked me!

Thanks eiginh :) That's interesting about the sexing, I've never heard that before.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

just a bunch of fake silk plants and a few caves on the lower part of the tank..and some large slate flat rocks for them to spawn on....they literally will dart back and forth across the tank and spin in circles in a bubble wand etc..thats why i try to recommend NOTHING hard that they can scrape or bang into....

oscars are monomorphic and have no differences in shapes, sizes, colors etc...only way to sex is a spawn ....bumps and other such things are probably something they did in their tank IMO ...

9. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

Wow good to know. I'll have to re-scape the tank when I get a chance :) That's the great thing about this hobby... there's always something that needs to be done... things never get boring.

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I so agree!!! remember i had 2 in a smaller tank so you might have time...but i firmly believe that the bigger they get, the more crazy and eratic they are and they really shouldnt have anything other than silks or bottom deco only..i know it stinks cause that driftwood is truly a nice piece...but i worry when i see stuff like that with oscars that are growing over 7 inches or so...

11. steve_58 Member Member

Mine grew 9" the first year then took another 4 yrs till he was 12". Yeh they grow real fast the first yr but then the growth slows.Keep up with regular water changes and have very good filtration.I also found it better not to feed oscars live feeder fish but rather pellets,veggies and insects like crickets, mealworms.