Could my new guppy be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Penelopa024, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Penelopa024

Penelopa024 New Member Member

Hello.
    4 days ago I added 10 guppies to my community tank . Today I noticed one of the females is hiding in the corner of the tank or behind the heater and it's belly is much bigger than the other females.
    I worried it might be sick so I tested the water and it came back fine .
    Ph 8.0
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10ppm
    I ve done pwc . No change for that one female.
    Rest of the fish seems very happy and active.

Is it possible my guppy is pregnant and I bought it already in blessed state?

I would add pic if I knew how ( it's my first post)

2. AtomicMudkip

AtomicMudkip Valued Member Member

Hi there! Welcome to Fishlore! If you are using the mobile app, click the arrow to the left on the text box when typing and select the gallery button and take/select a photo from there. Guppies are like the rabbits of the fish world. They breed ALL the time. I would not be surprised if your guppy was pregnant but keep an eye on her and post a picture when you can
    If it is pregnant, be prepared for lots of babies unless you have something that would eat them!
    Good luck,
    ~Mudkipz

3. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Thank you for your reply.
    At the moment I only have those 10 guppies , few neon tetras , 4 Cory's and 4 assassin snails.

I will be keeping an eye on the female but if indeed it is pregnant then I'm lucky:)
    I already bought single assassin snail which turned out to be inseminated and I have lots and lots of eggs in my small tanks :)
    If even half of them hatch I will have a tank full of snails :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2016
  4. Protim Sarkar

Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

They are pregnant.

5. AtomicMudkip

Agreed, in the last photo those two guppies are defiantly preggers. Most of the guppies with fat silvery bellies are pregnant. Be prepared for an onslaught of babies!
    ~Mudkipz

6. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Yey!!! How great. Now to decide whether to leave it there and hope that some of the fry can successfully hide and survive or move it to different tank :) decisions decisions.
    Thank you for replies :)

7. AtomicMudkip

No problem! with so many pregnant fish, quite a few should survive. Do you have plans for them if you can't keep them? My LFS takes my fry at a certain size. It might be worth asking if yours does the same.
    ~Mudkipz

8. I

Ichthyologistinmaking Valued Member Member

If you have another, larger fish, it might be a good idea to keep the fry as live foods for other fish, or possibly to just see what kind of different colored fish the guppies produce, which is fun in and of itself!

9. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

Welcome to the forum! I'd like to add some thing about livebearers. Typically their pregnancies last 4-6 weeks if they are unstressed and healthy. You can usually tell that they're pregnant if the female has a dark spot above the anal fin. This is known as the gravid spot and will grow as the pregnancy continues. Both guppies in your picture have nice examples of a gravid spot, the dark pink area behind their bellies. Towards the end of their pregnancy (about a week left) they will begin to "box out", meaning their bellies will look rather boxy or square.[​IMG]
    This was the best example of a boxy guppy I could find. A couple of days before they give birth, you can even see the fry's eyes peeping out of the mothers stomach!
    -Potato

10. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

No I don't have a plan. I will ask at my LFS.
    Will assassin snails eat fry? Or a goldfish ?
    I have tank with one goldfish and another with assassin snail and lots of eggs so more assassins soon.

I just examined all 5 females and 3 of them seem pregnant :) oh...this will be fun :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2016
  11. I

I've never seen a goldfish eat fry before, but looks like you'll have a chance to find out if yours will, I'm a big fan of live foods for fish, sure it sounds horrible and cruel, but it is amazing to watch their hunting instinct kick in, and I don't think your assassin snails will eat the fry.

12. FreshFishes

FreshFishes Valued Member Member

that happened to me with once with platties! I bought about seven girls and already had a boy in the tank. Long story short a month later I was rushing off to Walmart for a ten gallon to house The 137 fry that had just been born. I only kept three, and now they're pregnant too!

Also I don't believe that assassin snails will eat guppy fry unless it's unmoving or dead.
    -Potato

13. I

I had a similar problem, we had two guppies, a male and female, and the population keep exploding, but as there were no other tanks, and we didn't know how to raise fry, the parents just kept eating them, in the about a year or two we had them, they probably produced 400 fry!

14. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Hm... I guess I will try to see what the goldfish do and if not interested then will go to LFS :)
    I don't think it's cruel . It's nature !
    I love watching assassins hunting pond snails - im not psycho - but it's fascinating!

15. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

yes, the parents are cannibals,so they will eat a lot of them.

Your guppies are pretty, I always liked black on fish.

do you have plans for the fry or are you just gonna let nature take care of them?

16. I

I totally get what you mean, watching fish hunt their prey was part of what got me totally obsessed with fish in the first place! Predatory snails are also fun to watch! One of my favorite predatory actions I've seen was a saw fish hunting its prey, that impressive rostrum ripping through its prey so it can eat them at its leisure, so freaking cool! I'm not a psycho either, but you at least have to respect the predators ability to find, hunt, kill, and consume its prey.

17. mg13

I know, it's amazing how they are built.

18. I

Have you ever watched sailfish hunt? That's also really incredible, watching them flash different colors to talk and coordinate attacks!

19. mg13

No, I'll defiantly look into that!

20. OP
    OP
    Penelopa024

Ah... I will have to have a look at that. Yes , I think keeping the fish life in captivity as close to their natural habitat is very important. if they are born to kill they should have an opportunity to kill .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice