Could my Guppy be pregnant?

Discussion in 'Guppy' started by SabrinaBrook, Jun 28, 2016.

1. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hello all,
    This baby Guppy was born on 16th Dec 2015. That makes her 6 months old now. I was trying to sex her and her 3 other brothers and sisters today and noticed how fat she was and a black dot in her belly. Could it be possible my 6 month old guppy is pregnant? If so it would be by one of her brothers!
    Look how fat she is:
    [​IMG]
    And the dark spot in her belly:
    [​IMG]
    Either shes just a female with the dark spot and i feed her to much or shes preggers, can anyone else tell?

2. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Yes, she's a female, and if she's been with her siblings for 6 months, it's most likely....as well as her appearance.

3. Lucky Guppy

Lucky Guppy Valued Member Member

Yes definitely pregnant and chances are her other sisters are as well.
    At six months with her brothers, the females could of possibly given birth already "if kept in warmer water".
    If i had to average a drop time "as i think you have them in warm water now" I would say between now and possibly 2 weeks.
    If shes a first time mother she may drop one or 2 at a time over a period of hours.

My personal technique for sexing guppy fry is from 2 months old at "1 week intervals" have 2 containers one for males and one for females.
    One at a time I take each fry out of the aquarium into a clear glass with about 2 inches of water and hold it up to a window with daylight coming through,
    you will be able to clearly see the metamorphosis of the anal fin into more of an acute angle "it starts to be slightly longer and more dagger or spear shaped at first" if unsure you can leave it for another week, it wont be able to mate anyhow until its gonopodium "penis" is completely formed.
    If when you hold it up to the light and you see a definite shaft then that means the male has the ability to mate "even at a young age males will flex the gonopodium forward toward its own head "front of its body" and then back in place facing backwards.
    Females cannot flex their anal fin forward.

4. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi guys,
    Thank you! I now have to decide when to put her in the nursery. Im shocked that she is pregnant being so young and small still. Yes they are in warm water. Perhaps i should just put her in a breeder net which would be less stressful than the nursery?

5. Five 97

I'd leave her alone for several more days....

6. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Thanks Five! Will do :)

7. Five 97

Your welcome!

8. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi all,
    Its been about 3 weeks since i posted this thread, there have been no babies in sight so far. This guppy is bloated still and so are the other 3 of her siblings. They are always the ones getting in first at feeding time, could i possibly be over feeding them? One looks like it might burst. I feed them a mix of frozen tropical mix and also guppy gran staple diet food. They are always hungry and very piggish. Sometimes i feed them twice a day and they scoff down everything. :eek:

9. Lucky Guppy

Lucky Guppy Valued Member Member

It is a good sign of health if they have a ravenous appetite that being said you should only feed how much they can eat in five minutes after that remove the remainder food with a net or gravel vac, I've been told that guppy can eat until they pop I don't know how true that is though.

Post some update picture or video on them, would be able to tell more from actually seeing what they look like now.
    This is what a pregnant female looks like normally just before they are ready to give birth.

10. Five 97

If they are Prego it won't be for much longer. I'd put them in in a matter of days. a guppy's gestation period is around a month long. So that'll probably give you an idea... Also when feeding fish, even if they look hungry and start to beg for more you need to Resist...To give you a better idea, The average fish's stomach is about the size of its eye.
    I wouldn't feed it what it can eat in 5 minutes, that's too much food Imo... I like to feed my fish every other day.

11. OP
    OP
    SabrinaBrook

Hi guys,
    Thanks for replies, sorry i havnt been here i have lots going on at home.
    The guppies are looking better and not so bloated now i have moved them into a big tank. For some reason they have slimmed out lol Or perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me in the big tank! Either way im not concerned anymore atm :)
    I will post pics as soon as i get time, thank you all!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice