Could my fishes have ich?

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi People,

Have a problem with my fishes' health. I recently added a red swordtail female to my tank after keeping it in the quarantine tank for about 3 days. I think it has made my other fishes catch some disease. The fishes are flashing at the objects (decorations, gravel, etc).

Could this be ich?

Could someone help me by telling how to get rid of this?

Thanks in advance

Lokky

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Heya Lokky..first up,you shouldn't quarantine new fish for anything less than 10 to 14 days..secondly,fish flashing means a water-change is in order plus you could probably add Ich-treatment(Blue-medicine) to your tank..if this is your outdoor concrete-tank,I'm going on the assumption you have no filter-pumps in place,so you have no charcoal to remove..medicate with Ich-treatment once a day for a week,and do at least a 50% water-change everyday from the second day..good luck.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The treatment for Ich is as follows: slowly raise the temperature of your tank (like a degree every 2 hours) to a temperature of 85degrees F or 29 degrees C and keep it there for 14 days at the minimum. This gets the parasite off of the fish and into the water and there they can be killed. As long as they reside on the fish they are invulnerable. They should not be needing medication unless the outbreak is very severe but if so there are many medications available at most any pet shop or local fish store that can be added to the water according to the direcitions on the package. I use Quick Cure by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. but there are others just as effective.

Rose

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanx friends,

I have put some blue medicine into my tank and my fishes are a lot better now. I have no means to raise the temperature, as I don't have a heater. Any other way to do this?

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
They are a lot better now. Hope the situation improves. Will keep ppl posted of the status.

And could someone tell what the eggs underneath the members profile (with words Hatched on mm/dd/yyyy) are ?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are just adult "toys" They are called "Mystery Eggs" There is a site that you can go to to get them added to the signature at the bottom of your page, but it is easiest to just click on one of the eggs on the bottom of someones post and go to the site. You highlight the BBC code on the right side of the page under the egg you choose and add it to the signature box in your Profile here at the forum.

You open your profile here and go to Forum Profile Information on the Left side of the page and then Copy the BBC code for the egg from the egg site and paste it in the Signature box in the Forum Profile page.

I hope this made sense. I had to try for a couple of months before I worked it out but I am not a computer expert. :-[ :

Rose

lokky.funky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guyz,

Am sorry to tell you that one of my black females is dead. Prior to her death, her belly was so very bulky and could find her scales were sticking out.

I thought she was going to deliver as she did it last on the 29th of June..

But, unfortunately she left us. :'(

It happened on the same day that my white molly let out 14 fries.. But still it could not compensate my beautiful looking black molly. She was like a black puppy... for me

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry to hear about the Molly and her untimely death. It sounds as if she might have had Dropsy with the scales standing out and her belly being bloated. I am believing that it can be contagious so you may want to watch your other fish closely. Once a fish gets Dropsy I do not know of an effective cure for it.

Once again, I am so sorry.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom