could it be something else?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by redlessi, Mar 25, 2010.

1. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Besides fin rot??

When I first got Bleu in Dec. 09, his fins changed colors after being in the tank for the first week.

In late Jan, I realized that he probably had something going on with his fins since I got him. By then he had little white pin holes and some pieces missing from his tail.

Thus began the treatments over the next few months because I thought he had fin rot. Started with bettafix. Next I used jungle fungas clear tablets. Then jungle fungas eliminator and finally maracyn plus. All of these resulted in little or no improvement. None were used in succession and each after a week or two of no meds.

Now its almost Apr and Bleu still has raggadey fins with some pin holes. I keep his water crystal clear with weekly water changes, params are 0, 0, 5-10, soak his food in garlic, use stress coat, there is nothing sharp in his tank. He is eating and doing the betta dance whenever I go near the tank, no sulking or laying around, his coat appears healthy no spots or sores.

Since he seems so happy through all of this, could it be something else happening with his tale and fins.:;dk

2. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure how old your boy is but if he is an older male this is actually a part of the aging process...I'd compare it to an older gentleman going bald......I have boys that are 2 years old that used to have gorgeous finage.....Now they are losing their tails and look ragedy just like what you are decribing.....I've talked to some long time breeders who have told me this is a natural part of the aging process in Bettas...

3. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

I've noticed that with some of my kids as well, I think that due to stress some of the pet-store kids have it happen just a little bit sooner.

4. OP
    OP
    redlessi

I have no idea how old he is. I got him from petco in a death cup right before christmas. In hindsight his fins never looked good. I have not used any meds this month especially since I saw no results.

I never expected him to be so old but at least I know he seems happy since I had him.

What a drag, as I have become really attached to him.............

5. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

He might not be old per say but past stress could still be a factor.

6. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

I'm glad to know this info as our Thomas' fins are looking raggedy and thin - I'm sorry your guy is older than you may have thought :( We've only had Thomas about a year

7. OP
    OP
    redlessi

So do you think I should keep trying to medicate with something else? I would hate to see it go to his body.............that is if it is indeed fin rot..........

8. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

My Neptune did the same before he went away. It's just age as I understand, no amount of the wondrous Vita-Chem helped, they just got a bit shorter, more raggedy and were whitish at the ends. I wouldn't worry about it being fin rot, the meds may not be doing him any good.

He could still swim, dance and blow bubbles with the best of them! If Bleu's still happy, I wouldn't worry any more.

9. Bisc

Bisc Valued Member Member

I have a betta I recently purchased from a Petsmart out of a decorator's fishbowl (the tiny little bowls with the fake goldfish all smiley inside?) and upon further examination he is much older than I thought he was. Brooklyn is ding well, though, despite his age, and he's as happy to eat and play as any other fish.

10. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

The hardest thing for me is "wait and see"...we feel like we HAVE to do SOMETHING, right? I will follow the other posts advice and give it a few days, watch him closely and the water quality and see... Ahhh...PATIENCE!!! is one of the virtues I am trying to acquire more of it!!! Let us know!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice