Could I of created a monster?

1. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Well my betta Juliet has been in my main tank for about 6 months now, and I think she is tired of some fish. My platy that she had always hated has a notch out of his tail and so does my female guppy. My mom said it's because I feed her live guppy fry, I disagree and Idk if it's her anyways

2. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

Sounds like it might be time to rehome your betta to her own tank. She may start taking out fish or become very stressed and prone to disease.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

It's the chance you take when you have a betta in a community tank.
    Imo, it has nothing to do with feeding live food. It's just the nature of the Betta.
    Sounds like it's time to move her bedore someone gets really hurt or killed.

4. Phinny12 Well Known Member Member

I have to agree with Lucy & jgon. Bettas don't do well in a community tank for very long. I have kept them temporarily in community tanks but they start to get "edgy" after a while... It's not their nature to be community fish.

5. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

My female betta tolerates bottom-feeders, and seemed like she was tolerating tetras for a time, but one night she turned on them and I had to move them.

Moral of the story: Don't trust the bettas with many other fish!

6. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

Ya, I know it was a risk, I just thought it would never happen to me, I thought she would be different. Idk what to do now, I don't think my parents will let me get another tank

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh no!! i hope things get better! but for now, do you have a breeder net/box? its always good to have a back up plan when trying bettas in any community tanks...i also dont think it was the food you fed her....let mom know you need something for her so you dont loose your other fish...good luck!

8. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I have put her in my biggest breeder net I have, my parents are so stubborn

9. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Can you divide your tank in some way? Or is it not big enough?

It sounds like she's come to the end of her tether with the other fish!
    Bettas are generally bad tempered, I think it is fortunate that she has put up with them for this long. I don't believe in having fighters in with others, it is just against their innermost nature. :)

10. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

The tank is a 55 gallon but it is tall so I wouldn't be able to give her alot of room to swim, she would be swimming up and down alot