Could I Have Oto's As Well? 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Dinoknight, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Dinoknight

DinoknightValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    My mother has a fully cycled 10 gallon tank with a male crowntail betta, and 6 neon tetras. She wants a non snail bottom feeder. I think that 3 otocinclus should be okay, but I would like a second opinion. Would 3 oto's be okay in a 10g with the previously mentioned stock?

- Dino

2. AJE

AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,883
    Experience:
    1 year
  3. I like fish123

I like fish123Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
  4. OP
    OP
    Dinoknight

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    What would be the problem with the otos? And bettas torture shrimp if not eat them outright. I know, I've tried.

- Dino

5. AJE

AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,883
    Experience:
    1 year
    Ottos neeed a larger tank. Ghost shrimp are about the same size as a betta

6. Tol

TolValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +304
    Experience:
    2 years
    Otos are not really bottom feeders and they can be difficult to keep. They really do better I bigger tanks and in larger groups.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Dinoknight

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    Not when you buy them. And regardless, they still eat their various feelers. I have seen otos kept happily in 10g's. I am not speaking of foot long Chinese and Siamese algae eaters, I am speaking of Otocinclus, the fish that gets 2 or less inches long.

8. I like fish123

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
    Just because they are small doesn't mean they can be kept in small tanks.Here's my 1 cent. Keep whatever you want, even an oscar if you want in that 10 gallon, but if it doesn't meet it's care needs it will not be a happy fish and might die.The choice is yours, we can't stop you from doing something, we can only tell you whats right and whats wrong.

9. AJE

AJEFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,883
    Experience:
    1 year
    Well said

10. I like fish123

Ratings:
    +76
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thanks.

11. abarb

abarbWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +321
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Siamese algae eaters don't get a foot long. Otocinclus prefer more stability of the tank and more space then a 10 gallon. They are also not a bottom feeder but go all over the tank like a pleco. You could keep them but they won't live a good quality life. Also if you don't have a lot of algae and they don't learn to eat fish food/vegetables they will starve.

12. OP
    OP
    Dinoknight

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    1. I would never keep an oscar in anything less than a 30g. I'm not crazy. Also, Otos are algae feeders, like practically every other loricariid (e.g., plecos, panaques, farlowellas, otos) In chains they often end up being siamese and chinese algae eaters, and those I know are not bottom feeders after juvenile, not to mention, they get massive, but again, I am talking about the loricariid otocinclus. 2 inch long algae eater. Even the fishlore data base says so. they are a social fish, but they don't exactly need mass numbers. and sorry, I did not mean bottom feeder, I meant cleaner, and I know that they need more than just glass algae, I can feed them fine with algae wafers. And yes, siamese get somewhere like 6 inches long, in anycase, too large for the tank. I have had many people recommend otos for a group of 10 gallon cleaners. I also have a 36g available that they could be moved to if things went bad. but I do not expect problems. Please, unless you have kept them and actually have researched them, don't give advice on something you do not know about. I believe @Fanatic said something about that once. However, knowing that I have a 36g to use as well, which is really what I am thinking about, would you suggest a group of otos for a 36g? I really thought they would be fine for a 10g. I have seen numerous people say that they can be kept in groups in 10g. I have told my mother about their various sensitivities, so she has decided against them.

- Dino

13. abarb

abarbWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +321
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Even 30 gallon is not enough... they need something more like a 75 gallon. And I think he was just using it as an example.
    You shouldn't rely on a fish to clean. I think you meant algae eating fish (just assuming).
    Depends on fish, plants, algae, etc.

14. OP
    OP
    Dinoknight

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    Sorry, @abarb, I think 30g is the bare minimum, for example, a growout tank, but 60 - 80g normally, but I do not rely on fish to clean, did mean algae eaters, I do several water changes a week, around 25% each. I know he was using it as an example. And sorry for the outburst, everyone, I do not mean to mistreat any fish, I do think that most of you have good ideas. However, until you explained why you though that, I had no way to know what I would be doing wrong. Most of the time I am not this stupid, but I really did think they were fine in a 10g, I was skeptical of them to begin with, I was trying to find something that is not going to be eaten or be too large, and the oto looked like a decent choice, certainly better than my mother putting several BN plecos. Normally I research fairly well, thanks for saving me a lot of trouble.

- Dino

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  15. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,317
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I am a keeper of ottos and not a believer of them needing to be in big groups. I have a 45g with 3 in it and a 90 with 4. Ottos are a strange little fish. They need a planted tank with algae and micro film to eat. Yes after a time some may eat algae wafers. No guarantee they will. There’s just not enough algae in a 10gal for ottos. 30 would be the min for ottos.
    Also the betta will probably bother the Otto too. Have you tried nerite snails?

16. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,270
    Experience:
    Just started
    As a otocinclus owner (a successful one at that), yes, it could work. Will it work for you? I don't know.

17. OP
    OP
    Dinoknight

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    I am about to, as soon as I can convince my mother that they are better cleaners. not to mention free snacks for the tetras in the form of eggs (Don't worry, I will continue feedings

- Dino

18. Yale Kim

Yale KimValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +36
    Ottos are kind of sensitive, maybe try some cories or something like that.

19. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    I say go for it.

20. OP
    OP
    Dinoknight

Ratings:
    +85
    Experience:
    5 years
    Nah. The otos in the area are low quality anyway. and I have no room for normal size cories, and all the pygmy cories in the area are wild caught (which I will not endorse, with the exception of hastatus because no one breeds it in captivity, so if you are breeding them that is fine, same with any other fish) so I will stick with snails. However, I do actually have a school of panda cories that I am slowly adding to the 36g. Trouble with the little buggers, in our area it has been a bad year for them in general.

- Dino