could I cheat a little with lighting...??

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well as you all know lighting fixtures are super expensive, so I was wondering if I could cheat a little and just use a lamp or something to light a small tank. No plants, just fish. I guess basically I'd just sit a small lamp on something higher than the aquarium so it shines down on it. Or would the light bulbs for lamps promote extra algae growth (I believe they are halogen or something)?

Oh and here's a sort of separate question...do you need lighting in a fry grow out tank?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know about you but incadescent economy hoods aren't that expensive and cp fluerescent bulbs aren't that expensive to replace them with. Depends on the type of bulb but yes it could promote algae but if it's just a fry tank it won't be a problem as I"m assuming it's going to be a bare bottom tank so scrubing any algae off the tank will be a cinch, in that case a desk lamp won't be a problem though you might want a hood on the tank to prevent evaporation and fry from jumping.

Just wondering what are you planning on breeding?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, the fry tank was a separate question. I was wondering about the lame for an actual tank, like a cheap 5 gal Betta set up. Incandescent hoods may not be as expensive but they can still cost 20 bucks... (which I do not have

Well if I were to say everything I plan on breeding sometime in my life I would go on for quite a while. ;D If I breed anything anytime soon depends on what I can find and afford...

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
0morrokh said:
No, the fry tank was a separate question.  I was wondering about the lame for an actual tank, like a cheap 5 gal Betta set up.  Incandescent hoods may not be as expensive but they can still cost 20 bucks... (which I do not have

Well if I were to say everything I plan on breeding sometime in my life I would go on for quite a while. ;D  If I breed anything anytime soon depends on what I can find and afford...
lame? If you want to breed something it's better to buy a 10gallon than a 5gal. betta setup, throw in a hob heater and sponge filter and your good to go, cost maybe 30$ total, if that answers your questions not sure ???

LOL afford, I know how you feel, well used to, I'v been making a lot of money off shoveling lately

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry for the confusion... I meant "lamp" not lame. A 5 gal would be for a Betta, a breeding tank would be a lot bigger than that. The Betta (or any other fish in a tank I needed to light cheaply) will need a light too so that's why I'm wondering about using a lamp.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you have a 5 gallon tank yet or not because most 5 gallons come with a hood that are cheap?

I would think a fluerescent desk lamp might work better, best to ask Rose. Though if your going to have a betta I would assume you want plants so a desk lamp wouldn't be the best as they usually promote algae so your best bet would be to save up and get a fixture or buy one online for cheap.

What type of tank are you planning on buying because most are cheaper if you buy a kit.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I don't even know if I can get another tank, this is more of a "what if I did" question. The tanks that come with hoods are still expensive, so that's why I was wondering about cheating a little. The tank kits may be cheaper than buying everything separately, but the problem is that the heater and usually filter they come with is no good, so by the time I have replaced everything that's useless the kit will cost me more.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah I see, well what about the five gallon hex's that roses uses for her bettas, those have good filters because as far as I'm aware, bettas need good lighting like fluerescents, though you can check with Rose. My petstore wil just sell a 10 gallon tank with hood for 21$ not sure about yours, some mini-bows you can get a bio-wheel filter too. In other no most likely a desk lamp would not be a good idea, most desk lamps give off a really bright white light or a yellowish one, though if you have a fluescent one than go for it as I know they make them.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I guess I probably won't be getting a 5 gal in the near future anyway. Since I got the new Betta he is moving to the 20 gal, and then the shrimp have to move to the q tank so they don't get eaten by him...but I want to turn the current q tank into a divided, permanent tank, with the shrimp and maybe other inverts on one side and another Betta on the other side. And then I will just get a 5 gal clear container for the q tank. From where the 10 gal is positioned the only way I could light it is with a regular hood anyway so, so much for saving money. :-/ oh well
Now where to get the money for the hood...

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the money for a regular hood you can buy the cheap fluorescent bulbs at somewhere like Job Lot or another discount store and put them in a work lamp. I had a 10 gallon setup with just a regular work/clamp lamp with a fluorescent bulb sitting on a piece of acrylic.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
there are such things as mini florescent bulbs right? cuz my tank came with a mini cadescent bulb

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lolagurl said:
there are such things as mini florescent bulbs right? cuz my tank came with a mini cadescent bulb
Yes there are

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom