Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Could I Add Another Bristlenose Pleco To My 40 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by josh.thomas02, Apr 29, 2019.

1. josh.thomas02 Valued Member Member

Hey Guys,

I've recently considered adding another bristlenose pleco to my 40g tank, hoping one day I might be able to breed them. My current stocking is as follows:

- 8 Harlequin Rasboras
    - 3 Honey Gouramis
    - 5 Peppered Cories
    - 2 Nerites
    - An Albino Bristlenose Pleco
    - 100+ RCS

Final note, I currently have a male, is there any possible way to ensure I get a female?

Thanks for the help.

2. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I personally would up the number of cories, as they need to be in a proper shoal of six or more, and they feel more secure when in a large group of one species.

You probably could fit another bristlenose, as I did this in a 30 gallon but regretted it due to the waste production factor, but otherwise there was no sort of aggression issues at all.
    The females won't grow long bristles, but if you buy it around an inch long it'll be hard to tell, and I was lucky enough to get a female.

3. josh.thomas02 Valued Member Member

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I might have to just try my luck to see if I get a female. Did you ever manage to get any breeding in your 30 gallon?

And in the case of the cories, I've been meaning to add more after a couple unfortunately died, thanks for the heads up

4. Fishproblem New Member Member

not to hijack the thread, but I currently have a full grown bristlenose in my 30 gal and was considering a second... what sort of filtration did you have in that tank?

5. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I only had a single aqueon 75, and since moving them all to a 20 gallon temporarily until we upgrade, I have several filters running as well as two air pumps with sponge filters and airstones.