60 Gallon Tank Could I add Angels to this set up?

Bonkers

240litre

So I had two beautiful angels when I started out but once they matured, one turned on the other and it was horrendous. I kept one for a while but he eventually went to another home too.
I’d like to try angels again but only with 5 to spread the aggression.

Will 5 Angels be too much for this community?

9 cories
8 cardinal tetras
1 GBR
1 betta
6 bumblebee goby
2 ottos

most of my fish occupy the lower level and the tetras don’t come out the bushy plants much since I shrunk the school.
I’d be happy to add more plants if needed.

Attachments

• 09FD34D4-D52C-4258-8AFC-F6EEB168F043.jpeg
    09FD34D4-D52C-4258-8AFC-F6EEB168F043.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 68BFAB05-EA46-4FA1-A596-D991F35A0905.jpeg
    68BFAB05-EA46-4FA1-A596-D991F35A0905.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 61B3DA4B-C729-427A-9EBA-C7399B0200DE.jpeg
    61B3DA4B-C729-427A-9EBA-C7399B0200DE.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 11
  • 7BF63976-691F-4ABB-B0EF-4576B70C7B7E.jpeg
    7BF63976-691F-4ABB-B0EF-4576B70C7B7E.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 12

connorjs1004

Me personally I wouldn't. While every fish is different, I just don't think having a betta with angels is going to work out well.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Depends, what does the betta attack or fend off? If he isn't super aggressive, it's probably fine, but even if he is quite aggressive to all the other fish he may not attack the angels. Here's why, so I have guppies and Columbian tetras (2 fish known to be very nippy, especially the latter) in my 55g tank with my angels, and they do not attach the angel at all, they are actually afraid of the angel, they may be going for a pellet of the plecos and then an angel comes along, they scatter, they are afraid of them. While, at least the guppies I used to have, attacked my betta and gave him fin rot.

Bonkers

Depends, what does the betta attack or fend off? If he isn't super aggressive, it's probably fine, but even if he is quite aggressive to all the other fish he may not attack the angels. Here's why, so I have guppies and Columbian tetras (2 fish known to be very nippy, especially the latter) in my 55g tank with my angels, and they do not attach the angel at all, they are actually afraid of the angel, they may be going for a pellet of the plecos and then an angel comes along, they scatter, they are afraid of them. While, at least the guppies I used to have, attacked my betta and gave him fin rot.
He’s my first betta. I’d say he can stick up for himself as he used to really chase my ram about. He chilled out when I swapped the ram for a balloon ram who was a bit bigger.
I may be up for swapping out the Betta.

Really, I was worried about the space they’d have to swim around and also the bio load.
What do you think?

WRWAquarium

What's the dimensions of the tank? Angels will like it to be deep once they are adults.

I had 4 angels in a 200 litre tall with a canister and bioload was fine.

Be prepared to seperate the angels if a pair forms. It will be a war in there most likely.

MacZ

6 bumblebee goby
If they get them the gobies are lunch.

Be prepared to seperate the angels if a pair forms. It will be a war in there most likely.

I'm right now observing 4 angels in a friend's 270 liter tank. Doesn't work out. Two of them are almost permanently pushed into a corner since a pair has formed. The pair will be sold of soonish, after that the other two first have to heal their tathered fins before they can be rehomed as well. Before the quartet said friend had two fully grown angels, that almost killed each other. The tank size doesn't offer the necessary room, not even with enough structure.

5 might work until maturity, otherwise a tank with double the footprint and a lot of structure might work out.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yes, so if there are 4, they pair, you have to return the other 2. Also, keep the betta in when you add them, but if they get really torn fins, I would separate the betta. When they're older you could try re-adding him, he might be scared now that they're bigger. But if you get non-juvenile (Marked as medium) angels they will dispute for territory, so they will get torn fins, but after they stop attacking each other as much, if they still get their fins torn more, I would separate the betta. Tbh, it would just be better to start with juveniles, let them establish territory as they age, less nippiness and you can know if the betta will attack them. I would also suggest reading my article on them for some further information:

Resource 'Angelfish Care'

MacZ

It's also worth mentioning, that pairing in angels is not permanent.

SouthAmericanCichlids

If they get them the gobies are lunch.
I have yet to test this out, (Will in a few weeks, the fish are in qt) but I have seen many people get angels and the angels don't see them as food since they've grown with them, as they couldn't fit them in their mouth when they were little, when they grow up they didn't eat them, yet new ones added (Smaller than the previously added tetras) were eaten.

MacZ

yet new ones added (Smaller than the previously added tetras) were eaten.
Reason enough to not test this out.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Reason enough to not test this out.
Though if it has been successful for others, I figure, it will probably work for me, which is basically what a forum is. But I why you're against it.

MacZ

Simple. If the chances are it might not work, I wouldn't bother to try. If it doesn't work out the animals pay the prize, hence it's better to not experiment under such circumstances.

TClare

I have been thinking about this one. In many ways 4 or 5 angels are better than two, with the proviso that some may have to be relocated later. If a pair forms and you remove the rest, there still might be aggression issues later on, the pair may not always get on. If you are prepared to deal with this it might be OK. BUT I have a 240l tank, and I also have a 576l tank in which I have 6 large angels. I am finding it difficult to picture 5 of these in the smaller tank, apart from any aggression issues they would just take up so much room. 5 juveniles would be fine for a while, but they grow pretty quickly. As for eating other fish, mine have not touched the neon tetras and pencilfish they grew up with. I have not added any small fish since.

Bonkers

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Dimensions are
1200mm x 410mm x 550mm

It does sound like it will be more hassle than it’s worth. I know it would work while they are juveniles but they can be real bastards when they grow up and want to spawn so I’ll wait for a bigger tank.

And thanks South I’ll take a look at your article.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views
FishyFingers
  • Question