Could I add an inverts? 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by FLGirl, Apr 14, 2010.

1. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Well, I'm mostly just playing with different ideas...nothings in stone yet except the danios. I have 4 zebra danios when my tanks done cycling Id like to get a couple glofish or zebras to have a better group. Other fish possibly 1 Bolivian ram and some cories (I was thinking along the lines of pygmy or salt & pepper since they are smaller. I like the reg cories (like pandas etc) but I thought if I went smaller it might be better for my tank)....Id like to make my tank well planted too. Anyway, I was thinking if any inverts might fit in there? Just thought it might be interesting and different. What would be best and easiest to care for and wouldn't bother my fish or plants or anything...it prob be good if they didn't get eaten either :;laughing I'm not sure I will get any just looking for opinions from people who know better than me. :;scuba

2. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I'd go with some basic larger scavengers like:

Amano shrimp - algae eating, supplement diet with zucchini or algae wafers

Tiger shrimp - regular scavenger, supplement diet with shrimp pellets

Dwarf crayfish - max out at 2-3 inches and too small to harm but the tiniest fish, eats pellets and other similar food

Actually, that's all I can think of. Maybe some mystery snails, nerite snails, Tylomelania snails, and MTS will be good, too.

3. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

I think I like the snail idea best...I'll start looking those up thanks :;fr

4. ram manNew MemberMember

i have 6 rams and its the way to go they all have such personalities

5. jcleeWell Known MemberMember

Wouldn't dwarf crays beat up or eat the smaller shrimp if kept in the same tank?

6. jerilovesfrogsFishlore VIPMember

i have nerite snails and they are so cute. i have a zebra, and several tracked, which look like spots. there are also olive nerites and horned. they can't breed in freshwater, so you dn't have to worry about that. and they are great algae eaters. :)

7. KunsthureWell Known MemberMember

Jaysee and I discussed dwarf crays and corys once. He said they aren't predatory but won't pass up a chance if one presents itself, so I decided to nix the dwarf cray idea just to be safe.

Bamboo shrimp are cool but need an established tank, six months or more. I've also been looking at the vampire shrimp, it's another filter feeder like bamboo shrimp.

-Lisa

8. FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely will be getting zebra nerites because of the research Iv done and the recommendations here. Iv also seen some beautiful ones of various sizes & colorations at the LFS. :D I was also thinking of later down the road once my tanks considered ''established'' and I have all the live plants I want and growing nicely of trying some Cherry Shrimp? Iv been looking them up and most places say they are the easiest, so best to start out with beginners...from what iv read though its could be iffy...What do you guys think?

9. jcleeWell Known MemberMember

I have been dreaming of getting a vampire shrimp, but I rarely find them for sale, and when I do, I talk myself out of the expense. They are awesome, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice