Could I add an Apisto or a Ram to my current stock ?

OuiBonjour

I have a 40 gallon, heavily planted with lot of hidings (bottom, middle and top layer) and also lot of floating plants with long roots.

I currently have :

1x Dwarf Gourami
7x Diverse Black Skirts Tetras
1x Serpae Tetra that schools w/ the BST
6x Khuli Loaches

Right now they all live in harmony, no bully, no victim, no agression. Some rare chasing between the Tetras but no biting, and it's evenly spreaded between them.

Nobody minds the Gourami, and he's not shy to hang out among the BST, even though he prefers the top layer, always looking for something to find in the floating plant's roots.

Khulis are shy, I usualy only see one or two at the same time, but they're not nervous and I'll sometimes see one swimming all around the tank in middle or top layer.

I have 2 amano shrimps in my beta tank, but it seems like one of them hurt him so I'm thinking of maybe moving them in this tank.

I do 30-50% water change weekly (or every 7 to 10 days). I test parameters pretty often too.

Water Parameters :

Ammonia : 0
Nitrites : 0
Nitrates : between 0 and 10

PH : 7.8
Temp : 78 F

So my question is : Am I already too stocked to add a German Blue Ram, or maybe an Apisto ?

If you think I could afford the space/bioload for one, do you have suggestions of Apisto that could fit my setup ?

As for the bioload, in between water changes (7-10 days) my Nitrates never exceed 10. I don't know if that can help evaluate the current load, but I feel like they would rise faster thsn that if I'd be too overstocked already ?

Please let me know what you guys think, and thanks again :)

OP
OuiBonjour

OuiBonjour

Thanks to you both! What would be the downside or risk to add an Apisto or a Ram instead of, say, a new Black Skirt Tetra ?

Before I got my Dwarf Gourami and my Serpae, I had a GBR with the 7x BST and there was no aggression, nor was anybody hiding or feeling stressed. However, after a week I found my Ram dead at the bottom and I never found why. No sign of illness, no bite marks, and nobody tried to eat his corpse.

I've been told that Ramirez bought in LFS are often boosted in hormone so they look very good right off the bat, and then they die. Maybe that was the case, but it's weird 'cause at first he was not that colored but in the next day his colors started slowly to show and I thought it was a good tbing, and Bam! Dead.

Anyways, makes me sad, he was my favourite. Always coming to me when I walk near the tank and seemed happy. At least my Dwarf Gourami does the same now, as well as my only "true" Black Skirt who likes me too.

The white one and the glo ones are a little less independant (unless its food time hehe)

Tscott667

You almost have the same stock as me. I'm wanting to add some Bolivian ram to mine though. Just dont k ow if its s good idea or not

tuggerlake26

I would think you could add a pair of one of the two. Your stocking isn't super crazy. Do you ever see the loaches out?

Rams can be tough to keep. They are pretty picky with water parameters. Your pH is a little on the high end for them. May have been the issue- though I know some might say you can keep them in that pH range. Typically I would aim for below 7. In the wild their water is 5-6.

Generally I've found apisto's easier.

OP
OuiBonjour

OuiBonjour

I also thought that the PH was my issue, but lowering it that much would maybe be a big issue.

For the loaches, I see them often, but never more than 2 at the same time. They often come out after everybody ate and they eat the remaining on the ground, but sometimes I see them swimming all around in the tank in the middle layer with for apparent reason. I'm supposed to have 6 of them, but sometimes I wonder if I lost some (but I dont think so as my water never got any spike in chemicals)

As for the Apistos, I don't know them well : would you mind suggesting me some species that could fit in my PH with my current fishes ?

It would not need to be a pair, as it might cause agression if they want to breed, but let's say a nice male apisto, small enough to fit in my crowd.

Oh, if possible I like when they look like punks lol (I mean the dorsal fin that goes straight up hehe)

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Generally caucatoidies (probably butchered the spelling) are one of the more hardier apistogramma around. Make sure to get tank bred.

OP
OuiBonjour

OuiBonjour

Thanks! When you say tank bred, what do you mean exactly ? Like, coming from someone who breed some and not at a LFS ?

And you think he would behave well with everyone and not affect the bioload to much ? And can I get one alone or I would need a pair ?

Thanks!

OP
OuiBonjour

OuiBonjour

After reading a bit about them, it seems like they'd prefer a colder temperature than what I have. It seems they can go as low as 60F but thrive between 72 and 74.

My tank is a stable 78F and sometimes goes to 82-83F during heat waves.

Would you have other suggestions ?

New Threads