Could I add a few more ghost shrimp or a corry catfish to my tank?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Kribensis, Jan 3, 2013.

1. KribensisNew MemberMember

I currently have a ten gallon fish tank with a betta, two corry cat fish, and three ghost shrimp. I had my betta in a 2.5 gallon tank, but after my guppies and swordtails had been dead for a while I put the betta in the ten gallon, with one corry catfish. He got along with the corry cat fish, much to my relief. He adores having so much room to swim. Of course, I found out that corry catfish like company. I went to my LFS and got another corry catfish and three ghost shrimp, leaving my ten gallon with two corry catfish, three ghost shrimp, and one male betta. The betta ignores the other fish, and I love staring at my tank trying to find my ghost shrimp and watching my betta swimming along with the corry catfish moving gravel around looking for food :) I'm not sure there is enough room on the bottom of the tank for another corry catfish, but the ghost shrimp climb on the plants and only grow 1 inch long. I would love to get either another corry catfish, or maybe some more ghost shrimp. If you go according to the 1 gallon per inch rule, I will be 2 or 3 gallons too small once the fish are all fully grown... What do you think ??? Am I right now fine? Could I get away with a fish or a few more shirmp?

2. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

The 1" per gallon rule is horrible and wrong... however I would say you could have up to 10 ghosts (1 ghost per gallon) as they are territorial... so maybe do like 5 ghosts total and I would say you could add 1 more cory but this is my opinion... what kind of Cory is it?

3. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to fishlore!

What kind of cories are they? Most aren't suitable for a 10 gallon. The only ones I can think of that will fit are pygmy cories... MAYBE pandas. They also like schools of at least six, so you might consider rehoming the two you've got and swapping for pygmies.

I think right now you have room for a couple more shrimp :)

4. OP
    OP
    K

KribensisNew MemberMember

Corydoras Catfish - One is green, the other is albino, I think.

Here is what I have: One of these   and one of these   (green)

I thought they were the same thing - Just different colors. Is that not the case, maybe? The Albino Corry Catfish sounds a bit smaller than the green one.

5. OP
    OP
    K

https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Corydoras.htm

Here it says that they are only about 2.5 inches long. I would say my albino (2 years old, maybe) is at least 3 inches, maybe 4 inches. I love the albino one, I've had him for so long... Maybe I could get a bigger tank, if I am able to convince a certain someone in my family... How much room would I need for the 6 cory catfish, one betta, and the 3 ghost shrimp? A 20 gallon? 29??

6. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I don't think you should have cory cat fish in there at all, just the betta and shrimp in my opinion (baring in mind without cover betta might eat shrimp), I am a novice fish keeper and I am only learning but from what I have learned that is my opinion!

7. Gordinian

Oh boy, I don't recall the name of that green one, but I believe they get big... let me dig around.

For each type of cory, you need 6 in a school, so if you wanted to keep both, you'd need at least 12 cories. Personally, I'd stick with the albinos and get a 20 gallon long.

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I think it is an emerald green cory cat

9. Gordinian

I believe that's the one that gets pretty big. I'm finding that most people recommend at least a 30 gallon for them. If you do choose to upgrade tanks, you could do a 20 gallon long with just albinos, a 30 gallon with just emeralds, or a 40-45 if you wanted to keep both. Personally, I'd rehome the emerald.

10. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

There are two varieties, one which is actually a corydoras and one which is not (brochis splendens, I think). The latter is an "emerald green catfish" (not a cory cat) and they get much bigger. The other is just a green variety of a bronze cory, which are smaller, but still too big for a 10 gallon.

A few notes:

1. I'd probably also return the cories if you can, and get pygmy cories if you can find them. The other ones will get too small. I have a few of the green cories and they've grown substantially in the past few months. If it is an emerald green catfish, then unfortunately they definitely get way too big and they'll need to be rehomed.
    2. Two problems with ghosties: A) they may nip the betta's fins while he sleeps on the substrate at night (another member had this issue) and B) they may just get eaten. They're not expensive though so that wouldn't exactly be the end of the world. I bought two dozen for my community tank and within a few weeks they were all gone :( However it's your decision. You can keep an eye on your betta's fins, and remove the ghosts if it looks like they're going after him. But you've had them so it'll probably be okay. :)

11. OP
    OP
    K

I doubt that the albino cory catfish could be returned, since I have had him about 2 years. I just bought the green one, so maybe they would take him back? I'm not sure if petsmart (where I got them) will allow fish that have been in a tank, other than theirs, with their fish, because of possible diseases. I do know of a small pet store that took guppy fry from me that might take him. My fish stand holds a 5, 10, or 20 gallon tank, and since I already have the filter and heater, all I would need would be the 20 gallon tank and more gravel. Would it work to have the 20 gallon with 6 albino cory catfish, 1 male betta, and 3 ghost shrimp?

12. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Yup :) Albinos are corydoras aeneus, the same as bronze cories, and they don't get nearly as big. While I personally don't recommend other fish with bettas, that tank is large enough that you could probably do something like a school of neons as well. There are many members who've successfully kept bettas with other fish...you just have to keep in mind that there are just as many, if not more, horror stories of waking up to dead fish. SO if you want to give it a shot (20 gallons with just a betta and cories will look pretty lonely) then you'll just need to be prepared to set up the 10 again (maybe put it on a counter temporarily) to separate the betta, and return the neons. Just a thought :) Personally I'll always just keep my bettas by themselves..well, with a snail friend too :p (Though some bettas won't even tolerate a snail.)

13. escapay

escapayWell Known MemberMember

If you have only had the green cory cat for less than 2 weeks and you still have your receipt, the store can take him back. They won't (or shouldn't) put the fish back with their other ones but will keep him in a quarantine tank to monitor him before returning him to the fish wall.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice