Could I add a female ?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Joel2036, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036 Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354611131.138145.jpg
    Hey I was wondering if I could add a female to this tank, jye (his name ) isn't aggressive at all, I know this might sound a bit cruel but a few weeks ago I ran out of food without knowing and one of my guppies had about 30 fry and I already have a tank with over 100 in there(gettin out of control) !! So I just put 2 of the fry in with him and he did not even eat them or even try to chase them he had a look at them when they got put in but then left them and they are still in there,
    I have a new plant and driftwood in there now, but I really want to add a female would that work at all ?
    Sorry if I blabbered on a bit :p

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

its a gamble with the most likely event being a dead betta or two, plus you don't know how a female will behave i have seen a few people who keep mixed genders in larger tanks for short terms but havent herd of how it works out in the long run, ive read posts about how a betta thats been in a community tank for months or years can just snap and go on a killing spree

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

It is very risky. And you do NOT want to try and raise betta fry unless you are seriously prepared. It seems nice to get him a girlfriend, but they just don't mix sorry.

5. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Ohk ok that's alright I won't take the risk :) thanks for the advice everyone !! Is there any tips for a friend he could have ? The tank is around 9g ?

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello,

You could try adding some snails but other than that, I would avoid any tank mates for bettas. They do best by themselves in their own heated, filtered tank. :)

Ken

7. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

There are actually very few who do thrive on, and need, the interaction of other fish, but this is a pretty rare occurrence. I was unlucky enough to have a betta who was both aggressive AND needed other fishy interaction. I rehomed his buddies (some Endlers), and when he got depressed, I bought him Neon Tetras. He attacked these (which everyone here decided it was because most small Tetras send out a sort "prey" vibe, and were jittery), so I separated him until I could rehome them, and he got so depressed that he soon died. It was all quite strange. There have been a few other reports of this as well.

But typically, bettas do best, or very well, on their own :)

8. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Oh ok cool :) I might just add a few snails then !

9. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Oh ok cool :) I might just add a few snails then !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice