Could I Add a Dwarf Gourami?

peachsonas

I have a fully cycled 10g with 5 panda cories. I was thinking about adding a single fish as a centerpiece/pop of color. No bettas because the temp is too cool for them, but maybe a dwarf gourami? Could I keep just one, or is it recommended they stay in pairs or more? I’m just looking for a little more movement in my tank and I don’t really want a schooling fish. I’d be fine with a pair. Opinions/suggestions?

Maryellen

I’ve had a rough time with gourami, they tend to be sickly. I’m not their biggest fan, but they can be kept alone. There’s a big variety in the species that would work for you. German blue rams, however are beautiful and can be kept in a pair. However that might be pushing what you can fit in a 10gal… What temp is your tank at?

PAcanis

I used to have two Dwarf Flame Gouramis but one turned into a bully and exterminator of tankmates.
The one left in the tank does not seem to miss him.

peachsonas

I’ve had a rough time with gourami, they tend to be sickly. I’m not their biggest fan, but they can be kept alone. There’s a big variety in the species that would work for you. German blue rams, however are beautiful and can be kept in a pair. However that might be pushing what you can fit in a 10gal… What temp is your tank at?
My tank is 73 degrees, so I think that’d be too cool for those, right? They are really pretty though.
I used to have two Dwarf Flame Gouramis but one turned into a bully and exterminator of tankmates.
The one left in the tank does not seem to miss him.
Oh, yikes. Could I get away with just one, do you think?

DoubleDutch

Though IMO one shouldn't keep fish in a 10G I'd get some real honeys instead.

Just curious to know : Did DG's jumped in mind cause of the "Dwarf" in it ?

MacZ

My tank is 73 degrees, so I think that’d be too cool for those, right? They are really pretty though.
Correct. 27-29°C is the sweet spot for them.

ruud

They should rename this fish to Aggressive Inbred Monster.

DoubleDutch

Correct. 27-29°C is the sweet spot for them.
Sorry but I disagree on that.
These fish are tempsensitive as it cones to mating. They live longer and stay calmer if the temps are lower.
They should rename it : The most beautiful fish ever that is destroyed by humans.

MacZ

They should rename it : The most beautiful fish ever that is destroyed by humans.
How about "another fish ruined by linebreeding"? But you both are right.

These fish are tempsensitive as it cones to mating. They live longer and stay calmer if the temps are lower.
Let's put it in perspective:
If you get them from the normal trade, a bit cooler is ok, especially when the water is too hard and alkaline to keep bacteria at bay, wild caughts and F1-F6 might need it warmer but also softer and more acidic.

peachsonas

Actually, no. I was looking at some options for a centerpiece fish online and I knew dwarf gouramis generally make better tankmates than bettas due to their temperament but still are colorful enough to see them swimming around :) I actually went to the LFS yesterday to see their selection, but there were several of them just laying on the bottom and breathing really heavily. From what I’ve read online and from here, they’re pretty susceptible to sickness. So I decided against getting any and just sticking with my pandas for a while.

jinjerJOSH22

How about "another fish ruined by linebreeding"? But you both are right.

Let's put it in perspective:
If you get them from the normal trade, a bit cooler is ok, especially when the water is too hard and alkaline to keep bacteria at bay, wild caughts and F1-F6 might need it warmer but also softer and more acidic.
I feel like one of you is talking about DGs and one is talking about GBRs, or is that just me?

Anyway I think you made a wise choice avoiding DGs op. Stick with your Pandas for now and if a bigger tank is in the future, consider a peaceful school or “centerpiece”. In a larger tank a Paradise Gourami might be a good one.

Edit: not saying Paradise are particularly peaceful, they typically aren’t. Though seem to be fine with Armoured Catfish at least.

Akeath

I second that you should consider getting a Honey Gourami (Trichogaster chuna, formerly Colisa chuna) instead. I suggest you look for one that matches the scientific name to make sure you are getting a true Honey. They are less prone to disease and also a bit more peaceful than Dwarfs, and would likely be less territorial in a 10 gallon than a Dwarf Gourami would be. They would be worth shopping around to find, imo. I have 2 Honey Sunset Gourami and they have always been personable, hardy little fish for me and it is great fun seeing them swim around and explore everything with their little feelers.

Another option would be Sparkling Gourami. These are one of the smallest and most peaceful types of Gourami, to the point they actually do better in small groups. You could fit a trio in there, and they would add a lot more interest to the upper areas of the tank.

Any Gourami would appreciate some floating plants, by the way.

jinjerJOSH22

Another option would be Sparkling Gourami. These are one of the smallest and most peaceful types of Gourami, to the point they actually do better in small groups. You could fit a trio in there, and they would add a lot more interest to the upper areas of the tank.
Sparkling Gourami aren’t as peaceful as most seem to think, in fact they are quite good at tearing each other apart when kept in few a number. Also they aren’t the “exception” to keeping Gourami in a group, most are actually very social and tend to do much better in groups. Dwarfs are one of the few that should be kept alone.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aqdpanda22
Replies
Views
Ellebrius
20 Gallon Tank Betta vs. Dwarf Gourami
Replies
Views
Drafe
Replies