Could i add a bn pleco? 120 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by allaboutfish, Dec 9, 2012.

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

I was wondering if i could add a bn pleco to my 120 tall mostly bc i love plecos but also to help with the algae. This is what the stock will look like
    6-turquoise rainbows
    6-other rainbows of similar size
    1-jd
    1-blood parrot
    1-kirin parrot
    1-turquoise severum
    1-common pleco
    Filteration is an aquatop cf-400uv and a cascade 700.
    Lightly planted with swords, anubius, and java fern. Lots of rock scape.
    Thanks

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

As long as the common pleco doesn't cause it problems, I don't see why not. However, the size difference may be a problem.

3. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Is there a high chance it will? I can move it to my 55 if necessary. Would a longfin be ok?

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

From my experience, Commons often kill BNs. No idea why but they do. I tried it several times and it never worked out.

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Darn. Any plecos the would work that would eat algae?

6. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Not a pleco, but why not a nerite snail?

7. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

I don't know why bust snails dont do that great in my tanks. I added a bunch of ramshorns to this tank and they were all dead in a few days.

8. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

Personally I would get rid of the common pleco and then get whatever other pleco you like that would be more suited to your tank. From what I've looked up a 120g tall tank is 4x2x2 ft, correct? IMO a common pleco does not belong in that size tank. If it grows up to 2ft long how is it even supposed to turn around?

9. RogueAgent94

Commons don't normally play nice with others. They don't do a terrible job of removing algae but, as with all plecos, you still have to clean some algae.

10. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ill just keep him. I doubt hes gonna grow bigger. Hes been in 29 gallons and less his whiles life until now. Plus how many people do you know with 200 gallon tanks that want a common pleco?

11. RogueAgent94

I only kept my Commons in 6ft tanks. I agree if your tank is only 4ft long you shouldn't keep him. My largest common was 27" long.

12. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

One more question. Could i add a featherfin syndontis or something similar?

I really doubt he is gonna get bigger than he is now. Plus again how would I find him a home big enough? It was better than him being in the 29 and hes pretty old and maybe 12in or so. Most likely stunted.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  13. RogueAgent94

Stunted or not doesn't make a difference IMO. Sometimes stunted fish can make a recovery. I've seen it happen.

IMO you should add anything else to your 120. Seems pretty much stocked to me.

14. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Ok thanks!! And if he gets to be 27in i will try to find him a home. As it stands now his size is ok for this tank.

15. Jaysee

my 30 hex came with a 15 inch common pleco. I think the 120 is large enough for the fish to continue growing, if it is going to grow. In other words, the 120 is not going to prevent it from continuing to grow in the short to medium term, and if the fish doesn't grow in the short term, it's not going to attain that size in the long term.

16. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

How long do common plecos live by the way? I know my aunts friends mom had it for a while and then they had it for a while so I'd guess at most hes maybe 5 years or so.

17. RogueAgent94

I had one live for 16 years before he died. They live a long time.

Even so, stunted fish can often produce just as much waste as a non-stunted fish. The large tanksize for common plecos is not only because of their large size. They produce enormous amounts of waste.

18. Jaysee

Oh, now it's a matter of bioload? Because there's a huge difference between his 4 foot 120 and a 6 foot 125.....

19. RogueAgent94

Where did you get 125g from? All I said was 6ft. Note that my smallest 6ft tank was a 200g so yes, there is a big difference.

Merely curious, but why try to constantly try to argue with people instead of helping out the OP with their questions? I give my opinions from my previous years of experience and that's it. Arguing is a waste of time and energy.

20. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

Isn't bioload really easy to fix? I can just buy another canister.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice