Question Could I add a Betta?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Depends on the barb species, but definitely not with a gourami. Sounds like you are about fully stocked already, adding a betta will most likely disrupt the balance,

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't recommend a betta with your fish.
Either the Barbs or the Tetras can be nippy and too active for a slow moving betta or the betta can be aggressive with them.
Stress can also play a factor. Even if no one gets hurt or killed, they can become ill.
Bettas in community tanks aren't really recommended. Most do better as a solitary fish.

If you want a betta, a 5g tank would be perfect.

Jaysee, thanks, I missed the Gourami. Gouramis and bettas aren't compatible.

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Okay, thanks. Just wanted to see if it was possible. Are there any other colorful fish I could have just a few of? Would a male guppy be possible?

And also, here's my planned stocking of the tank.

429.jpg

I have a 20 gallon filter and a 45 gallon filter on this tank.

Last edited:

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I started off with cherry barbs in a 20 gallon and they were just not happy. They fought amongst themselves constantly. Once I moved them to a 30 gallon, that seemed to give them the elbow room they needed and they became very peaceful.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The stocking list says the tank is a little over 18g.
I'm not that familiar with platys and how they'd be on their own.
Looks to me like you're pretty well stocked.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would get a few more tetras and another cherry barb or two before I would look to introduce a new species of fish.

Shrimp would make good scavengers for the tank.

Narwhal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jaysee: I have some questions about adding shrimp. Would the fish attack them, What type/types could/should I get, how many should I get, how do I clean the tank without sucking them up, can they be with the BN Pleco, and do they have any special requirements or requirements different from the fish I have on the stocking list a few posts ago?

LyndaB: I could get 7 of them if that would help, but I feel like that's too many. Are there any other barbs that could do well in the tank?

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom