20 Gallon Tank Could Green Neons Work?

Megaanemp

Hello,

Of thinking of adding a school of green neons to my 20 long. I’m seeing conflicting info online about their temp range, I know some people keep them in the low 80s. Would they do okay long term at ~76F? I’m also a bit worried about overcrowding the bottom of the tank. The green neons I see at the store are always swimming low to the ground but I’m not sure if it’s just becuse they’re still settling in after being shipped. I also have a few remaining Zebra Danios in this tank, are green neons quite shy? I wonder if the Danios would scare them into hiding? I know my Zebra Danios have a small school, I’m keeping an eye on them for aggression and if I start having problems I’ll search around and find them a suitable home.

My current stock is:
1x Bolivian Ram
4x Zebra Danio
5x Trilli Corys (will be adding 2 more before adding anything else)

What do you think could it do 9ish green neons?
Advice appreciated

ninetyinone

My green neons are in the ~76F range and do fine. They swim low when stressed / sleeping / hiding, otherwise enjoy exploring the aquarium, usually around the mid zone but can go all over. They are also more timid, so definitely do better (and look better imho) in bigger groups, 8-10+ if possible.

With your current stocking and tank size I think it would work if you focused on two schools (plus the Bolivian), one of the schools being the corys. I'd be leaning towards keeping the danios, their rapid movement contrasts against the slower corys and ram. Maybe look at the leopard / gold / long fin varieties.

All that aside, if you've got good filtration, planted tank, hiding spots for everyone, test your water and do water changes etc, you can certainly juggle the danios and a good school of tetras together.

Upvote 0

Megaanemp

My green neons are in the ~76F range and do fine. They swim low when stressed / sleeping / hiding, otherwise enjoy exploring the aquarium, usually around the mid zone but can go all over. They are also more timid, so definitely do better (and look better imho) in bigger groups, 8-10+ if possible.

With your current stocking and tank size I think it would work if you focused on two schools (plus the Bolivian), one of the schools being the corys. I'd be leaning towards keeping the danios, their rapid movement contrasts against the slower corys and ram. Maybe look at the leopard / gold / long fin varieties.

All that aside, if you've got good filtration, planted tank, hiding spots for everyone, test your water and do water changes etc, you can certainly juggle the danios and a good school of tetras together.
Thanks for the reply,
I am definitely adding another 2 Corys to bump up their school. I won’t be replacing the Zebra Danios as they die out. I do love them, but it’s proven difficult to find healthy stock at least where I live. My ram is also a super super slow eater so despite target feeding I’ve had the Danios struggle with bloat which is a bit stressful to deal with. I am hoping to add another dither fish before all the Danios die out so that my ram can have a bit of a transition period. I’m glad to hear the green neons can do well at lower temps. If I do get them I’ll go for at least 10 to start then would probably up that in the future.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
EdieBadedie
  • Question
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views