Could anyone give me an idea why my giant african fan shrimp is dying? Help

1. c

checkzrockz New Member Member

Hi Ive not long set my tank up and have just put my first lot of fish in, a clown pleco, 3 glass catfish, 1 upside down catfish, 1 male japenese fighter fish and a giant african fan shrimp, all of them seem to be settling in well and so did the shrimp, it seemed to be quite happy exploring the tank before i left then when i got back its been lay on its side, still moving but cant seem to get back up right? Ive checked the water, temperature is 24 degrees C, ph is 7.8, 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and 5.0 nitrate. thats good isn't it? can anyone give me any ideas what it could be and what i do to help it??

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore! Unfortunately, I have no experience with shrimp, but I do know they're not good with copper. What brand of food do you feed the tank? Maybe there is copper in there.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your tank is overstocked as well. That might have something to do with your shrimp's behavior. Your clown pleco really needs a 20g tank. Also, your betta (japanese fighting fish) should be in a 5g tank by himself. They're not community fish and it's possible he's bullying your shrimp.

I hope this helps.

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

African Fan Shrimp are filter feeders. Those fan-like appendages are actually filters they use to trap bacteria and protists floating in the water to eat.

Especially in your newly set-up tank, there are no edible bacteria floating around in the tank, as the water is nearly pure. You should let the tank age for a while before adding new shrimp.

Currently, I think that you should target feed the shrimp with finely crumbled fish flakes or pellets to make up for the lack of this. Unlike most shrimp, the African fan shrimp will rarely scavenge for food inside of the gravel.