Could A Mystery Snail Survive A Week On It's Own Every Once In A While?

RyanSnail

Reaction score
I'm interested in setting up an aquascape for fun, maybe adding a snail to the mix.

I know I'll likely have to travel for lengths of about a week or so a couple times in the next few years, so I can't commit to owning any fish. In videos at least, I've enjoyed watching snails roam about slowly in their tanks eating algae and the occasional vegetable. But like I said I'll have to travel at some point. Could a mystery snail survive by itself for a week or so eating algae off a tank?

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just make sure the tank as a tight lid cos if theres not enough food he will try to escape to find some, but agree it can be done

Unforgiving Llama

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
In a well planted tank, I would say yes a mystery snail or two will be fine for a week, depending on the size of the tank. If you only have one or two, a ten gallon tank with lots of plants should generate the decaying matter necessary to feed them, in my experience. You can always feed them extra before you leave as well. I will often drop a small slice of zucchini in the tank and they will gnaw or it for a couple of days until it is all gone. Then they will be very lethargic for a few days while they digest.

You can always try that; throw in a slice of a fresh vegetable (zucs seem to be the best, they love it), and then see how long it takes them to finish it. If it is gone in a day or two, then that portion is probably fine to drop into your tank before you leave so they can have fresh food while you gone. If it takes longer than a couple of days, then I would remove it and try a smaller piece; the idea is to get the right size so they can eat it before it starts to foul the water.

jjohnwm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your absences are only a week or so in length, I would not hesitate to keep fish at all. Almost any healthy well-fed fish can handle a week-long fast without batting an eye.

Top Bottom