Could 2.5 ppm Nitrate be Right?

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My son has a 10 gallon tank with one three inch goldfish. The tank is well aged and seems to have a good cycle going.

I have been changing 25% of the water for him each week. This week I decided to let it go a bit longer since I want to see how the nitrate levels go up. So it has been about 9 days since the last water change. The nitrate is barely distinguishable from zero. Maybe 2.5 ppm at the most. I though goldfish were very dirty fish. Therefore, I would have expected more nitrate to build up by now.

Ammonia is a solid zero. I wonder if I should test nitrite. Tank was moved about a month ago. Is it possible the bacteria were killed and it is re-cycling?

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience today. Usually my nitrates run 20 to 40 in four days with 75% water changes. My last WC was on the 8th. Today my nitrates were 5. Yes, I have made some changes which attribute to the low reading, but I wouldn't have expected that much of a change.

It wouldn't hurt to test your nitrites, but I wouldn't think your ammonia would be zero if your cycle had crashed

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What color is 2.5? What test kit are you using stops or liquid. What is your tap water test readings?

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
API master test kit. Tap water is zero. Color is more yellow than orange. Scale goes from yellow to orange. 0 is yellow, 5 ppm is the lightest orange. I am calling it somewhere in between that is why I say 2.5.

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
a small goldfish will have low bioload. but once it gets bigger the bioload will increase significantly. i have 3 "medium" sized goldfish in a 75 gallon and have 20ppm nitrate after a week.

what type of goldfish is it?

yes you should test all 3 water parameters to be sure. but if there was any nitrite the goldfish would be showing lethargy or gasping at the surface.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Planning some cleaning and a 25% water change today. Will test all three parameters before water change.

I do not know what type of gold fish it is. Body is about two inches.

GumYu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
looks like a shubunkin. similar to comet goldfish but shubunkins have some blue color scales.

it can grow to about 8" long just the body, and the tail can be another 6-8" long. it'll need a 55 gallon or larger tank.

Sorg67

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My son said you are right about his fish. It is a Shubunkin. Guess he will need a bigger tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom