Cottonmouth/treatment worse than the disease?

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I just got over the dreadful bout with HIGH NITRITE levels on both tanks and 75% tank water changes daily for a fix on that and my blue Betta, Azul now has a gray fuzzy stuff around his mouth and his "lips" appear swollen. The books say this is Cottonmouth and since I have the "cure" for it - Triple Sulpha Capsules, I decided to start treatment right away. They say it is a colorless powder that disolves easily in the aquarium and can be used with other products. Pish-Posh. I have a layer of cloudy gray undisolved powder on the top of the water. It does not seem to bother Azul, but I have to repeat this process 4 times. Anyone have any ideas how to make it better?

2. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I forgot to say that he has not eaten ANYTHING but a couple of poppyseed sized green peas in several days, not even any of the pellet foods. This is how it started when he quit eating the bloodworms. When he gets sick he quits eating whatever he was on when he got sick and I hate to think of where I go next, I already have brine shrimp, bloodworms, 7 types of pellets and of course the vegetables but we are only left with the PEAS.

Any help will be appreciated.

Shalom.

Rose

3. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Rose he can go several days without eating without any harm. follow the directions for the medicines to the "T". Have you tried mixing the meds in water then adding it to his tank. I'm unfamiliar with that medicine so can't advise you on it's use. Hope he feels better soon.
    Carol

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, Carol. I am not even going to try to feed him for a couple of days anyway because he just rejects it and I'm afraid it will just mess the water up. The book I read said no light and to add more aeration and use Melafix and the Sulfa stated for Mouth fungus and Cottonmouth and they are made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals inc. When I called them they said they could be used together with no harm to him or the filter. Just to be sure to keep it up for at least 4 days. WOW it seems like I just get one thing settled with him and another gets going. :-[ :'(

Take care.
    Shalom,

Rose

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

You're doing great Rose! Fishies tend to get sick following an ammonia or nitrite spike. Eventhough AP said they won't hurt your bio filter, keep close tabs on your water parameters. I have read too many posts where ammonia and nitrites rose when they weren't supposed to! We're here for you!

6. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, Gunnie. I did a test yesterday and they are alright so far but Noel is coughing now and his nitrites are starting to get a small amount so I put him back on the Melafix and did a 20% change. I am surprisingly not panicing. I know you are all here for me and you have no idea what a comfort that is to me. Thanks to all.

Take care.

Shalom.

Rose

7. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Keep it up Rose!

8. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

;) Go Rose!!!  Go Azul and Noel!!!  ;)

9. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, they are behaving in their tanks hiding out under their coral and cave and their Mom went to her Mom's place this morning to shell pecans. I think all I can do is let the stuff do its thing. The water is still okay and I have to take my mind off my fishies a little while. My brother has pecan trees and grows about 2 tons a year so Mom and I sat this morning and did about 40# of halves. Now I'm back with the boys.

Shalom,

Rose