Cotton Wool or Fungal Infection?

chadcf

One of my albino cories today has been swimming near the surface and I found a cotton grown on one of it's fins. Nothing has been added to the tank for quite a while, the last addition was some pearl danios that I added back in early May so about 10 weeks ago. If it's something brought in from that addition it must be a very slow growing something...

I'm not sure if I should treat the tank with antibiotics, antifungal, or both or nothing or what. Any suggestions? Picture attached.

20210720_203330.jpg

Sauceboat

I would go with the anti-fungal, personally, but I don't have much experience with corries and their diseases, so I would want a second opinion on that

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I think the fish is facing both. Bacterial (ragged fins + barbelloss) and fungus on the infected tissue.

Upvote 0

Jo7984

I agree with DoubleDutch

It appears to be missing its barbells as well as the cotton wool growth and also all of its fins appear to have bits missing too.

What are the water parameters??

Upvote 0

chadcf

Well I moved it to a quarantine tank last night and dosed with some pimafix and this morning it's dead. Not too shocking I guess, seems like by the time there are visible symptoms it's usually too late to do much.

So now the question is what do I do to treat the main tank for anything if I do...

The tank is a 125, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-40ppm nitrates (my tap water is around 10-20ppm). 78 degrees, filtered by an FX6, FX4 and a Tidal 35 HOB I keep on to be able to swap onto a quarantine tank. I do about a 50% water change weekly, dose with prime, feed a variety of foods once per day. No changes to the tank in months so I have no idea what could have brought this on...

Is it worth dosing the entire 125 with general cure or maracyn two just in case?

Update: it is not dead, just too weak to swim away from the filter intake and it got stuck. I've freed it and turned the filter flow lower but I feel like at this point this one is pretty much a lost cause.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishgirl1234
  • Question
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
kinsey12345