Cotton Wool Like Fungus Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by tetragirl, Dec 16, 2012.

1. tetragirl

tetragirl Valued Member Member

Hi

I have my 2nd tank set up and cycling for a couple of months at least levels are 0,0,10

It is about 18-20gallons

On Friday evening I bought 4 red flame/fire gourmais at my LFS which is normally very good.

On Saturday morning I noticed one of them had a white cotton like fungus I think around his mouth. I treated the tank with an interpet antifungus treatment. Unfortunately later on Saturday I found him dead and removed him from the tank.

Now 2 of the others are lying on the bottom of the tank and have white on their tails and part of the body. The othe one has some white on his body and is swimming but not very active.

I don't think I can save the 2 lying on bottom and the third is not looking good either as this seems to have spread very fast.

I am going to go to my LFS tomorrow to tell them and I have photos of these three. Is it probable that they were already infected or had some other infection when I bought them. My tank does not have any other fish in it which could have infected them and I checked the water before I got them and all was good.

I acclimitised them slowly to my tank.

I am mostly sad and upset that the lovely little fish have got ill and one has died and others are too but also wanted to check that if a disease has shown up less than 12 hours after buying them and within 48 hours has got to this stage that it is most likely caused by the tank they were in in the LFS. The were in with some cherry barbs I think in the LFS and now that I think of it a few of these did not look very active but I wasn't buying them so did not look as closely as I should have at the other fish in the tank. So I just wanted to have some idea so when I go back to them I can get a refund or credit for other fish because I don't think it was possible to have been caused on my part.

Poor little gouramis :(

2. OP
    OP
    tetragirl

Here are some photos

IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg

3. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Uh-oh. That's columnaris. It spreads quickly and kills quickly. If you ever encounter it again, they need Furan-2 or Kanaplex (Kanamycin) RIGHT AWAY, It usually kills withing 48 hours of the appearance of symptoms. I have heard of hydrogen peroxide baths working in a pinch. Don't even bother with maracyn or melafix/pimafix.

4. OP
    OP
    tetragirl

Thanks Eienna, good to know for the future, never had something sudden and fast like this happen before, poor little fish. They were a little early Xmas present to myself and as going to surprise my nieces with them when they came over on Xmas to name them for me :(

5. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Warmer water makes the bacterium thrive. You need to reduce the temperature down to 72-75F

I've dealt with it, not fun.

Im sorry for your loss.

6. Eienna

Oh, yeah, that's right! If you get it again, also reduce the temperature slowly (about 2F an hour) to around 75, as the disease will progress more slowly in cooler water.

I would definitely try returning them if they're still in the "warranty period"...or maybe even if they're not.
    *snug* Stuff like that is always a bummer.
    By the way, next time, only get one of those gouramis, It is a type of dwarf gourami and they will start fighting if not kept singly.

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good advice given!

They look like honey gouramis to me, which can be kept in a group.

8. Eienna

She said they were Flames. That's a color variant of dwarf, if I'm not mistaken.

9. Jaysee

Yes, flames are a color morph of dwarf gourami. They look like honey gouramis to me, though.

10. OP
    OP
    tetragirl

Thanks everyone really appreciate all the fast replies. Yeah I remember keeping dwarf gouramis before and I think I had 2 or 3 it was ages ago but they seemed to get on fine but they were also in community tank. These 4 seemed to swim quite happily together until they got sick. Wasn't the usual guy in shop who I'd their real expert, the other person was ok but I don't think as knowledgable. I asked how many I should get and they were price 4 for €18 and so I didn't realise was possibility they'd fight.

Lying in bed but can't sleep (it's 4am here) they are in my room and feel so bad for them and have to work tomorrow so can't get to LFC until 3pm my time.

Another quick question since unfortunately I don't think they'll survive much longer when I remove them from tank is the infection still in the water and how do I get rid of it before I get other fish at some point. Do I just do water changes and lower temp?

11. Eienna

Honestly, I'd hit the tank itself and possibly the gravel if you've got it and not sand with some bleach, though I would protect the filter media to preserve your cycle. Be sure to rinse very very well and add some extra dechlorinator before putting your filter back on (if you're using Prime, you can go up to 5x the normal dose.) That should help get rid of any major sources.

If the latin name is Colisa chuna or Colisa sota, they're honey gouramis and safe to keep in groups. I think Jaysee's right - on a closer look, they do look more like honeys than actual flames.

Do you have hydrogen peroxide? If any are left there's a possibility you can save them. I'm not sure but I THINK it's about a tablespoon per gallon for a peroxide bath. I really don't know the proper formula for this but if nobody else replies, I'd say 3x daily for about 30 mins, possibly longer if they don't appear distressed.

12. OP
    OP
    tetragirl

Unfortunately I don't I was reading about the hydrogen peroxide bath but I wouldn't be able to get it til Monday afternoon if I can get it. The last fish is laying at bottom too so sadly I don't think they'll make it long enough for me to get this or other meds for them.

Thanks for advice about cleaning tank. Hopefully this was a one off bad luck thing.

Feel so sorry for the fish hate to think of them suffering. If they are going to die which seems almost certain I hope it is quick now so they are not miserable any more.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support. I'll update later on Monday

13. Eienna

You can put those last ones down by chilling them with ice cubes...they just go to sleep.

14. Jaysee

The ice bath shocks the fish, stopping it's heart in a matter of seconds. It's important to give the water time to get real cold first. Gradually lowering the temp will kill the fish too, but it takes longer.

I agree with culling them.

15. Eienna

I don't know if I would call it 'culling.' More like letting them go more peacefully. I tend to think of 'culling' as being synonymous with 'weeding out.'

16. OP
    OP
    tetragirl

The remaining fishhad died when I woke up few hours after my last post.

Going to go to LFS after work today

17. Eienna

I feel for you. I recently lost quite a few myself. Hope you get your money back. Don't bring any more back until you clean the tank out would be my advice. You can keep the cycle fed until then with pure ammonia (well, any ammonia solution's going to have water in it, but that's fine.)

18. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Sorry for your bad experience. I've never had to deal with that.

My one concern with the advice so far: Won't the filter media be contaminated as well as all the gravel and decor? I can't envision a way it wouldn't also be contaminated.

Since this is such a devastating disease, I think I would bite the bullet and disinfect everything, filter included and start over with new filter media.

Just my thoughts.

19. OP
    OP
    tetragirl

If I turn off the heat will that kill the bacteria too as they need it to thrive. Tank has no fish in it now so I can do that.

Went to LFC and got credit note they were apologetic and my usual guy was there. Luckily none of theres had got it. He is going to keep an eye on them though and was thankful I'd told them what it was and had pics to show.

I think the fish may have been weak and stressed so they were susceptible to it as he said delivery of them was delayed and he has feeling they were in truck for 2 days.

Thanks for all the help

20. Eienna

If there are no other fish in the tank, then yes, I think you're right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice