Cotton thread to tie java fern is decomposing

vince4395

Cotton sewing thread making a mess!!

So a couple weeks ago I ordered a bunch of plants online and one of them was a java fern tied to driftwood with cotton string. I did some research and found that the string would decompose on its own and disappear, well it eventually all came apart and the java fern is attached by roots to the driftwood but now there is millions of tiny cotton fibers in the tank!!!!! I made sure it was algae or worms or anything like that but its black fibers from the cotton string and its very unpleasant to look at. Its pretty much just free floating around in the tank and it looks horrible, how long will it take to completely dissolve?

A couple of weeks ago I used black cotton sewing thread to tie down a plant to driftwood. It worked, however it completely fell apart and now I have millions of black cotton fibers free floating in the water column! Is there a faster way to get rid of them besides time and water changes?

qchris87

Very fine mesh net

CindiL

Your filter should pick it up.

Geoffrey

Try creating as little water movement as possible. So increase the water level and maybe baffle the filter. Depending on your bioload, maybe even turn off your filter and other water moving equipment. After all the particles settle down, siphon it up.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
Butterfly
Replies
Views
Barkerp5
  • Question
Replies