Cotton Thread For Aquascaping Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by SLeroux, Jul 7, 2019.

1. SLeroux

SLerouxWell Known MemberMember

I purchased some cotton thread from amazon as fishing line was getting cumbersome to use.

Thing is within a week the thread is already broken through and not holding the plants down. Could it be my Amano shrimp chewing through it?

I’m going to be scraping a new 40 gallon soon and want to use thread but not if everything will come undone again. Any suggestions?

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Go to a dollar store/general and find the small elastics that are used for braiding hair they will hold your plants in place till they attach their root systems to your decor and you will barely notice them.By far the easiest way to hold a plant in place ( although never used super glue so can't say if thats easier or not)

3. OP
    OP
    SLeroux

SLerouxWell Known MemberMember

Interesting! That would be way easier. You don’t find they snap eventually? I would hate for a Cory or pleco to suck it up.

I’ve tried super glue and it works to a point, I find I can’t get just the roots with the glue and if it touches the rhizome it causes rot. Also just too messy for moss.

4. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

I have new anubis and java ferns cut off from the main plants being held on small pieces of driftwood with no negative effects so far and their producing new growth so ime if you keep it close to the edge of the rhizome it should work out well for u. another option with thread is make a slip knot and then put a section of your plant through it just to hold it in place between a few leaves and once the roots grab on u should b good to go