Cotton Mouth? Please help this newbie.

heatherbeehappy

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 60 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 6 weeks
Does it have a filter? Fluval Aquaclear 70
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 77
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 8 diamond tetras and 1 Bolivian ram (only one diamond tetra is exhibiting symptoms)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? it's only been used for one week (previous 5 weeks were fishless cycle)
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water? Prime, Stress Coat when added new fish
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? haven't needed to yet

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? API freshwater kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.8
Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? what they'll eat in 1-2 minutes
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? white patch on upper lip area
Have you started any treatment for the illness? not yet
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? no
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? no
Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I just moved the fish from my quarantine tank to my big tank two days ago. No symptoms prior to that. I first noticed this white patch this afternoon. There have been stressors of changing tanks, and one diamond tetra who is a bully. I only see one fish exhibiting this symptom (white patch on upper lip area). I know if I need to quarantine him it's going to be extremely difficult to catch him, thus adding stress for him and the rest of the tank as well. I have aquarium salt, Kanaplex, Metroplex, Eryththromycin, and Tetra Lifeguard on hand but have not started a treatment yet. (I got those in an effort to have a stocked medicine cabinet on hand - no previous issues) I just got this tank cycled a week ago or so, and I really don't want to kill my bb if I can help it, but I don't want all my fish to die of Columnaris either. It's very frustrating because I quarantined for 3 weeks before moving them. The tetras are very fast and hard to catch, so I wonder if the stress/trauma of being netted and moved is what set this off. The tetra who is a bully really only started being a bully when moved in to the big tank- not sure if he's just trying to establish territory or what, but he may be stressing the afflicted tetra out too. My water is pristine.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Fluval Bug Bites flakes, API sinking pellets for the ram
Do you feed frozen? no
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? no

Attachments

• tempImageLRZh2b.png
    tempImageLRZh2b.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

A201

Definitely not a good idea to treat the display tank with antibiotics. It would likely put a big dent in your BB.
Hopefully the white patch is just fungus attached to an abrasion.
You might try Melafix. It works as a mild antiseptic and shouldn't adversely affect your aquarium environment.
Diamond Tetras are one of my favorites. I keep a big group of them. Diamonds are very durable Tetras. Hope he heals up soon.

heatherbeehappy

Definitely not a good idea to treat the display tank with antibiotics. It would likely put a big dent in your BB.
Hopefully the white patch is just fungus attached to an abrasion.
You might try Melafix. It works as a mild antiseptic and shouldn't adversely affect your aquarium environment.
Diamond Tetras are one of my favorites. I keep a big group of them. Diamonds are very durable Tetras. Hope he heals up soon.
I have Melafix arriving Monday. Hopefully that will be soon enough? No local stores have it in stock right now.

heatherbeehappy

Today the fish still has the white spot but still behaving normally and has a good appetite. No other fish with symptoms. The spot ?might? be a little smaller, but that may be wishful thinking. From what I’ve read Columnaris is pretty fast and severe, so is it safe to say this probably isn’t Columnaris since the fish doesn’t give any other appearance of being sick?
Also, the bullying seems to have died down thankfully. Guess the jerk fish was just identifying his territory.

heatherbeehappy

For anyone who comes across this in the future, all turned out well. The white spot turned out to be just an abrasion or something and it healed up just fine. I used Melafix and stress coat. I’m really glad that I didn’t nuke my tank!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NickyFlash
Replies
Views
Diane 007
Replies
Views
Fisch
Replies
Views