Cotton like growth on my fake plants

Gunzer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My 26 gal is still trying to cycle. Its been running for 60 days. A week and half ago, I added a large bottle of TSS in an attempt to accelerate the process. After a few days I noticed a cotton / hair like growth appear on my artificial plants. It does not seem to be on my live plant. What could this be?

Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Temperature set at 80-82 b/c I have new guppy frye. I know a fishless cycle is the preferred way to go but I've got fish. 3 female guppys, 1 female molly, two Tetras ( their name escapes me )

Thanks,

Gunzer

taffy

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hi, gunzer your fake plant do help clean your tank but you should clean them at least once a month so i would try that for a bit hope this will help.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning.

First, since you've added TSS don't do any tests or water changes, don't add any chemicals for the next 10 days. (if it's been longer than 10 days since you've added it then ignore the first sentence) Here is a link on Tetra Safe Start (TSS) that you will find very helpful:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Follow the directions precisely!

If it's been longer than 10 days since you've add the TSS and you still have an ammonia reading of 1.0 then I suggest some daily water changes of 30 to 50%. The TSS for some reason has failed. Add some Prime or Amquel + to detox the ammonia for a 24 hour period until it's time for the next water change. This will help to keep your fish safe until your tank is cycled. Wait 24 hours to test so that you get accurate readings. Keep up with the daily water changes until you have readings of 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates.

What type of test kit are you using. The API (liquid) Master Test Kit is most recommended on this site. Test strips can be inaccurate.

The white growth on your plants is more than likely white hair algae. Very common in new tanks up to a year or so. It isn't harmful. You can remove it with your fingers. Don't be surprised if it returns until it runs its course.

Best wishes.
Ken

Gunzer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the reply aquarist. It has been more then 1o days since the TSS had been added and yes, I've had a consistent reading of 1.0 ammonia ever since. I thought if I were to add someting to neutralize the ammonia, I would starve / rob the aquatic bacteria of its food source thereby setting myself back further.

I use the API master test kit btw.

What say you?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime and Amquel + detoxes the ammonia in the tank but it doesn't remove it. The good bacteria still have their food source. Now this is not the case when you begin using TSS but since your TSS failed it will be fine to use and necessary that you use something to detox the ammonia. Prime and Amquel + also detoxes nitrites and nitrates.
Add this with each daily water change until you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and undr 20 nitrates. After you add the chemical to detox wait 24 hours to test for an accurate reading.
Ken

Myllissa

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had the white stuff on my artificial plants at one point when I first started up my tank. I just rinsed off the plant(s) in old tank water and put them back in. I had to do this a couple of times and it never came back. I also started using Amquel+ Plus and it has really helped in getting my tank to stabilize. Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom