Cotton ball spots Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by image_image, Apr 4, 2010.

1. i

image_image Valued Member Member

I'm VERY new to this fish keeping thing - PLEASE to be easy on me... Later today I am going to be cycling my tank for the 1st time. I was recommended to use Prime & to buy the API master test kit. Which I did. I also bought a gravel vacuum because my turkey baster just isn't cutting it.

Anywho, down to the nitty gritty: Both mollies look like they have white, cottony-looking balls of something on them. The female has one spot on her fin, and the male has a few spots on his side. I do not want to medicate them because I want the water quality to be stable first. In the mean time, are there any remedies I can try that could help them? (This is assuming it's ich, if anyone disagrees, do not hesitate to inform me!!!) I read here with ich you can turn the heater up and it will cause the bacteria to die - only problem is, I have a 2gal tank (upgrading in May) and the mini heater has no settings.

Also worth mentioning, the female I bought was pregnant and thus, there is one remaining fry living in a little plastic fruit container with holes poked in it and rigged to the side of the tank. (Later today he will be moving into the breeding net) I know it's possible that this little guy could have caught whatever the other 2 fish have. Just saying, incase any solutions would be harmful to him...

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Many of us started out wrong, so no worries.

I think you may have the wrong idea of what the nitrogen cycle is.
    It's process a tank goes through to grow beneficial bacteria that processes the toxic ammonia (created by fish waste and left over food) into equally toxic nitrItes. Another bacteria forms and converts the nitrItes into nitrAtes.
    This process can take up to a month.
    If you haven't seen it before, here's a link that explains it:
    Nitrogen Cycle

Ich looks like grains of salt, not cottony.
    Can you post a picture? See if someone can ID what's going on?
    Ich is a parasite, not bacterial.

I think I mentioned in your other thread, a 2 gallon tank is too small for mollies.
    They create took much waste and need more swim room than that size tank allow.
    The stress of cycling and too small a tank effects the immune system of the fish and makes them more suseptable to disease and illness.

3. OP
    OP
    i

image_image Valued Member Member

I did read the nitrogen cycle thing before I joined... took notes and every thing. I will re-read it to brush up. I haven't tested the water since I've bought the fish, and as of right now the water conditioner I use only breaks down the chlorine/ heavy metals in tap water. My understanding of the nitrogen cycle was that the end result was water that was at the correct pH, ammonia, nitrate, etc. levels that would not harm the fish.

I understand the tank is much too small, but I live in an apartment and I'm not even allowed to have the tank I have, much less a 20 gal. Before I knew much about fish at all I bought a beta fish because I missed taking care of an animal (I have a cat back home). Anyways, I ended up shocking him aaaaand he died because I did a 100% water change... unaware that the water should be changed in smaller amounts. Still unaware of the proper needs of tropical fish, (I did some reading, but not much) I bought the mollies. The pet store owner told me that the tank I had been using would be fine for the fish I have now. (I've had them for about 3 weeks).

I'm moving back home in May and I plan to purchase a 20gallon tank for them when I do... I was told to use Prime and do frequent water changes until I can get them into a better home... which is something I am completely willing to do. Because these fish poop a LOT

I will def. try to post pictures if the problems once the water in the tank is a little clearer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice