cost of a saltwater set up. 65-75 gallons

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I currently keep several fresh water aquariums. I am in the very begining stages of planning for a saltwater set-up. I plan to acquire all the required equipment over the next 12 or so months and was wondering what a typical 65-75 gallon FOWLR cost was vs. a 65-75 gallon Reef set up. I am not 100% sold i want a reef over a FOWLR, so the cost could very well be the deciding factor. also is it easy to upgrade a FOWLR to a Reef setup by upgrading things like lighting, protein skimmer, etc, down the road should i decide i want corals?

Dr.TylerShoemaker

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!
A FOWLR tank would cost about $620-$645, A reef set-up would cost you a goot $750-$850 (wide range due to lighting possibilitys) also it is fairly easy to upgrade from a FOWLR tank to a reef tank

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It depends on equipment used for both setups. used versus new is a big consideration on how and what you can get! New you can spend easily a 1000.00 bucks or more that's with tank and equipment. Not to mention lighting of correct spectrum for what you choose!

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That is a lot of money! Although i looked at (and think I have fallen in love with) the Red Sea max 250. its 1800, but i am saving up over a year.... Its such a beautiful tank...

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice tank but they are way over priced!!! If I remember correctly the tank that you are talking about is about 1500.00 bucks Your basicly paying for the name!!! FYI

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know. I like the simplicity of everything being all built together too though. I probably won't get it, i just think it is a very beautiful set up. I'll probably go with either a traditional or bow front glass aquarium.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can do that and still have a sump skimmer etc. for about half the cost of RedSea max keep looking try craigs list etc. there are deals that do come buy just have to catch them!!!

josh11551

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
yes there is ! that is where i got ALL of my tanks!

JulieBW

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm right there with you. I'm okay spending a little more on a tank KIT rather than separate pieces. I want the Red Sea 250 too!

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
keep an eye on craigslist, you could find a nice tank for way cheaper. protein skimmer and lighting is what cost so much for a reef tank but don't skimp on these, and where i live the coral runs about $50 a piece and ordering on line isnt any cheaper once you add in shipping and handling.

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely go with Craigslist or something similar, and definitely look for one with an internal overflow. If you don't know what that is then find out. Whether you go reef or fowlr you're going to want a sump.
As for the sump - you can buy one for up to $200 or even $300. Mine cost around $45 in home depot parts. All it really consists of is a tub with different chambers.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO the Red Sea Max is incredibly overpriced, and the lighting is really underpowered for a reef (which limits your choices of coral a lot).

And, I agree with zeeter. Avoid hang on overflows at all costs, lol. Mine was a nightmare and I'll never do it again. If you can't find a reef ready tank that you like, try having the back drilled on whatever tank you do find.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads