Cost and Information on Setting-Up SW Aquarium? Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Setup' started by VenomGrass, Dec 24, 2009.

1. VenomGrass

VenomGrassValued MemberMember

Hey Guys.
    This will probably healp many other users and google searches too.
    Few questions;
    • What is the besxt size tank to begin with?
    • What are the main things to research and read-up on prior to beginning the aquarium
    • What is the average cost for a first SW aquarium

Thank a lot! I know it totally depends on the fish, live rock etc.. but a general price etc will be amazing.
    :;thx

2. Mike

MikeFishloreAdmin Moderator Member

3. OP
    OP
    VenomGrass

Thanks Mike. Sorry for not browsing the forum - It's my lazy weakness lol. Happy holidays :;rudolph

4. nemo addict

nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

Hi just a thing on cost i see your in the uk , one factor in the uk about cost of SW is the electric, due to very high prices here in the uk a lot of people have shut down there tanks , also water meters are also a big factor to take in to consideration in this hobby, i spend more in a month on these 2 then i do in food,salt,test kits,additives, It cost me about £1.50 a day just in electric to run my tank and lighting, This would be cheaper if i had a smaller tank and no corals , and i only have a 4x2x2 ft tank

5. OP
    OP
    VenomGrass

Ahh.. good point. I can get water for free as we have a government garage tap supposed to be used for gardening etc, but I can use for tanks ;) Electricity on the other hand... pfffttt lol

6. ATP

ATPWell Known MemberMember

I would all so get an RO/DI unit because tap water is rich in nutrients which would cause multiple algae problems.

ATP,
    :;f:;fr:;fg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice