Corys

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by klutz10154, Nov 28, 2012.

1. klutz10154

klutz10154 Valued Member Member

So Cory catfish are pretty awesome! They really just don't care lol We're in the middle of a water change and they just keep swimming up to the siphon teasing us lol but we were wondering one thing. a behavior we've noticed over the last couple days is that one of the cats keeps following the others around and swimming on top of it. is this normal behavior?

2. Daac

Daac Well Known Member Member

Well if by the others you mean other cories yes this is normal. They are schooling fish and he may just be trying to school closely to the other fish. I do own cories but I do no know how they mate so it could be a mating thing but I'd wait for another response to be sure what is going on.

3. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

yeah it's a speckled cory that keeps doing it to one of the green corys

4. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

compared to my Cory fish... sounds normal. mine will also follow other fish around the tank. they are such happy and fun fish!

5. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

They're great aren't they! I've read that they're hard to breed but that would be absolutely awesome!

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

Cories are just about the coolest fish going. They are such a blast to watch.

7. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

They are goofy little guys! So much so I often see threads of people concerned they're sick or something from their antics.

I think my Sterbais are starting to try and breed. From what I understand they get in kind of a "T" formation, with one putting its head up to the others side and trying to stay there. Other than that, ime its totally normal for them to swim/rest/eat on top of one another.

8. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

They swim upside down and everything. Complete clowns and adorable to boot!

9. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

hahahaha if we could get them to breed we would be ecstatic! we love them! probably going to get more in the future

10. t

the evness New Member Member

Probably my favourite purchase so far! Picked up one(last one left!) from my lfs the other day and can't wait till they get more in next week so I can give it some buddies to play with

11. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

hey guys you all seem to know alot about these fun little guys. I've now got 5 in my 30 gal where before we had 2 and we were feeding them one bottom feeder pellet that they LOVE! should I be giving them 2 now? or keep it at 1 a day? I was just wondering I don't want to over feed the little guys. (btw they finish the pellet fairly quickly once they find it)

12. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

It depends on the size of the pellet, I normally feed my 8 cories 1 nls h20 stable wafer every other night.

13. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

I guess they are called wafers
    same size as the algae wafers I was giving them those for awhile and they liked them too but then we found these new ones soooo I've been flipping which one I give them each day

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  14. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I have 12 corys in my 70 gal and they get about 6 mini-wafers every other day. They polish them off in no time at all.

15. OP
    OP
    klutz10154

we went and got 5 new catfish yesterday! 3 bandits and 2 sterbai! Awesome little guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice