Corys together?

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Would 2 or 3 different cories kind of move together? I want a panda, peppered, and/or a julii, but only if they'll play with each other like one big happy family!

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm no cory expert, but from what I understand, corys like hanging out with their own kind but will swim with different ones.
Right now in our quarantine.. we have 2 sterbai, 1 green and 1 panda and they're together the majority of the time.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jri4 said:
Would 2 or 3 different cories kind of move together? I want a panda, peppered, and/or a julii, but only if they'll play with each other like one big happy family!
We'll second shollia's post.. they're great little fish & accept more than you'd think reading the 'ideal' conditions for them. We only have 2, below the 'minimum' of 3, in the Platy tank and the little guys are happy as can be. Sometimes they'll move together, sometimes they'll all go off and do their own thing. They'll be great to watch and we love all of those Cory types. We have 3 different type of platys and they act like a little school.. fish are fish and they'll often defy the stuff you read. If you want those Corys, we'd say go for it & enjoy their antics.

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Cool, sounds good. I think a school of Danios at the top, and 2 corys at the bottom fill out a 10 gallon tank nicely. If only I could fit a Dwarf Gourami in the middle region... My tank would be complete in my eyes...

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
The cories I have school and swim with each other. I guess it just depends on the cory, but mine aren't picky.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Danios on the top would be cool. That would be a tank full of some hardy fish, that's for sure!

Sarcastic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
For the longest time I had 3 cories, two Armored and one Albino, and once the Albino gained some weight and mellowed out a little bit they started hanging out together.

Recently, against good judgement but I just couldn't help it, I picked up another Albino Cory. Almost immediately the 4 split into 2 groups along suborder lines.

jri4

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I go in a week to a tropical fish store to hopefully buy some (either panda, paleatus, sternai, or aenus). With already 5 danios in a 10 gallon tank, I planned on picking up 2 of these to help keep it clean. they should do the job fine. i'll let ya know when i get them!

kalika

Valued Member
Reaction score
I had originally bought two corys from the same tank at the LFS (2 sterbai) and they swam along well. One up and died on me within two weeks of owning him. I was nervous for the other cory and a few days later I got one that is a cross between the leopard kind and the one with the black dorsal fin with the black stripe running through his eye. He was from a completely different store and the minute he plopped into the tank the other cory got pretty excited and stayed by him for hours. Now they swim together almost all the time and definitely nap together. While my cory was alone before, I had a lone platy as well for a bit (now moved to a bigger tank) and she would lay by them during the day sometimes and they totally let her. Of course she is now in a bigger tank and has a few platy friends now and has forgotten all about how she pretended to be a cory but they are all hardy, social fish. I don't think you will have any problem.

Luniyn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
jri4 said:
...I planned on picking up 2 of these to help keep it clean...
As long as you are referring to keeping the tank free of uneaten food and not cleaning algae you are ok. But if you are expecting the corys to clean the algae then you are looking at the wrong fish. You would want something more like an oto if you want some algae cleaners. Just a heads up.

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah the cories do a good job of cleaning up excess food and stuff but wont tackle an algae problem

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom