Corys starting to have white fuzz on fins

1. O

Ophelia New Member Member

Hi everyone, I noticed today 7 out 9 of my corys are starting to have a little white fuzz on their fins, mainly dorsal but I think I can see some light fuzz on side fins on the pandas. There doesnt appear to be spots, injuries or fuzz anywhere else on the body - the corys still seem happy and active, are eating, digging in the sand, etc. The fuzz is pretty minimal and light at this point, I'm glad I spotted it early. It's a bit hard to see in this pic, but if you look at the top of the dorsal fin, you should see a little white.

photo (2).jpg

My 15 G tank has been setup for over 2 months, it is planted, has a piece of bogwood, and also houses 4 small mollies (which I intend to give away to a friend, as I realize the tank is slightly over crowded) and gets 20-30% water changes twice a week. Temperature stays around 72-75 depending on the day and water parameters appear normal: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. I did notice my PH is unusually high, it is normally around 7 and now seems to be closer to 8! Our water comes from a well, so I do not need to treat it for chlorine or chloramine but i do sometimes add a little dose of Prime for ammonia and slime coat.

I have done a little research and think it is probably fungus but I wanted to be sure before starting treatment. Do you think it is fungus, and if so, what would you recommend to treat the corys?

I do have a hospital tank, however it is only 5G and likely way too small to host all of the corys while being treated. Could I treat the main tank? If so, should I take out the plants? Anything else to take into consideration?

Also any idea what could be affecting the PH so much?

Thanks so much for your time, I'll greatly appreciate any insights / recommendations you can provide. Hoping I can get my little corys back to good health very soon.

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

It is likely either fungus or columnaris (hopefully fungus). If you don't see any signs of a bacterial infection, go with it's a fungus ;) Find yourself an anti-fungal med that is safe for scaleless fish and treat with it. It should say on the packaging whether it's safe for live plants, and if it isn't, you'll have to remove them during treatment.

3. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks junebug!

Any idea what could be causing the PH to rise so much?

I'd like to make sure I address any root cause along with treatment.

4. I love my puffer

I love my puffer Valued Member Member

While treating I suggest doing some water changes with the meds too. You must keep the tank very clean. I suggest 25 percent every 3-4 days:) high PH probably is because of overstocking. Continue the water changes after treatment once a week instead of every 3-4 days to keep everything in check;)

Best of luck!
    I love my puffer

5. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks I love my puffer! My LFS suggested melafix+pimafix and I began treatment yesterday after a water change. I'll keep doing regular water changes throughout the treatment. I've read some suggestions of doing 25% everyday with daily doses, would that be too much?

I'm also getting my hands on a 30 gallon tomorrow to replace the 15 and address the overstocking. Should I wait until treatment has completed before doing the switch over?

Thanks again for all the help!

6. OP
    OP
    O

I did a 25% water change today and added the recommended daily dosage. After awhile all of the fish were listless, even the mollies were hiding out. One of the pandas didn't even move when I came close with the turkey baster to pick up some of the waste, where as it usually darts off. Some of the corys started flashing and swimming erratically (not like their usual active swimming). Afraid I had overdosed, I did another 25% water change and they seem mostly to be back to normal now. The mollies havent come out of hiding and one of the peppered corys is still flashing a bit. Really scared for my little guys. :( I think I will dose a bit less than recommended tomorrow.

7. I love my puffer

I would set the 30 up and put the healthy fish in and QT the sick little guy:) treat him and monitor the others:)

Sent from my XT1030 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. I love my puffer

I'd do 25-50 every 3 days or so.

9. I love my puffer

Check water parameters also and keep QT VERY clean

10. junebug

Stock level does not affect pH. My guess is something in the tank, substrate or rocks perhaps, is causing the rise. You can also check your tap and see if the ph matches.

Regarding medication, follow the directions on the product you use. If it says no water changes for 5 days, that's what you should do.

11. OP
    OP
    O

Water out of the well is 7 PH. Substrate is play sand, I do have 2 smooth round river rocks - could that be it? I can remove them to see if it makes a difference.

I ended up getting a 35 gallon delivered which I will set up, and the 15 gallon will stay as the hospital tank for now until the sick corys are better. Can I move substrate, my second filter sponge and some plants over to speed up cycling, knowing that they were in water with the melafix and pimafix? I'd move the healthy fish over as soon as the tank is ready so i can continue fully medicating the hospital tank.

Thanks everyone!

12. junebug

The culprit is either the river rocks or your well having a lot of dissolved co2, which would dissipate in the tank and cause a change in ph. Odd, I don't usually see that with well water so much as with city water.

Pimafix and melafix won't affect your cycle, but they won't help your fish at this point either... They are both preventative supplements. Try getting something with real antifungal in it.

13. OP
    OP
    O

Quick update to share some good news and bad news:

the 30 gallon has been set up and I moved the mollies over. I continued to dose the 15g with pimafix and melafix, and several of the corys improved. After a few days of looking better, I moved the newly healthy corys to the bigger tank and they all seem well now.

In the 15 gallon remain 2 pandas and a peppered cory who still show signs of fuzz after 8 days of treatment, but it hasn't actually worsened. I've been keeping the water pristine and monitoring parameters closely. I went to my LFS and the only thing they had was Kordon's Rid Fungus. I did a 50% water change and started dosing with Rid Fungus yesterday.

The pandas still look like they have little strands of hair on their dorsal and tail fins. The peppered cory on the other hand looks more like he has a white slime on his fins rather than fuzz...?

2014-08-13_pandas.png 2014-08-13_pepperedcory.png
    (sorry the quality isnt great but i dont have a better camera :( )

Will the Rid Fungus be effective or should I order something else online? Is the peppered cory affected by something else?

Thanks!

14. I love my puffer

That's great!!! About your other fishies try the new med for a few days and see how it goes:)
    Good luck!

15. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks I love my puffer! On day 3 of rid fungus treatment and most of the fungus has now disappeared. I noticed the pandas have turned a bit darker.. almost a bronze like color. Could the Rid Fungus (which is a similar color) be the cause of the coloration, or is it possible they have velvet? I tried to look with a flash light and it doesnt seem like gold dust.. just their pigmentation. ???

16. I love my puffer

I'd think the meds. They are probably a bit stressed and got a bit darker wich in my opinion is normal as meds can be stressful. So glad to hear they are better!

17. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Fishlore VIP Member

I love my puffer, Most meds used have specific instruction on the amount of water changes needed in conjunction with treatment, can you please explain your suggestion? Also, can you elaborate how overstocking would contribute to a higher PH ?

18. I love my puffer

Rivieraneo, the water changes I suggested is just my personal opinion. As you can see my suggested treatment seems to be working quite well andThis is what I do with my fish and I've never had an issue. Anyone else may do what they feel is best for their fish, I am just trying to help as best I can. I also contribute high PH with too many fish and vice versa as that is what I have always experienced over my years of fish(and frog;)) keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

19. OP
    OP
    O

Just to clarify (and not to further any argument), I havent done any WC unless necessary - when noticing traces of ammonia or when switching medication. When I did, I made sure to re-adjust the dosing for whatever amount of water I removed & added, then added the daily dose. I only considered the frequent water changes at first with the Pimaxfix/Melafix after reading it depletes the o2.

Since starting on the Rid Fungus on the 12th, I haven't done any WC but have been monitoring parameters closely and everything appears to be fine. Fungus continues to diminish and the corys are *slowly* returning to their normal behavior. I'm just crossing fingers hoping that once the pandas are healthy and back in the main tank, the rusty color will go away and they will return to their beautiful black & white selves :-\

20. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Fishlore VIP Member

I love my puffer, no need to get defensive, my question was based on your recommendation of water changes using Kordons Fungus Cure. The manufacturer does not encourage water changes until treatment is complete:

Source:

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/produc...atives-and-treatments-2/rid-fungus#directions!

With regard to a rise in PH and overstocking, too many fish in an aquarium with little oxygen dissolution would add CO2 into the water column lowering PH not raising it. In your response above, you have not notated anything to support your statement, I only ask because I would like to know as this is the first time i've heard of this. Again, I ask you to not get defensive as it is a valid question I have.

Ophelia, very good news your cory's are getting better. I've used Kordon's products in the past and they work great.