Corys Preferred Female - Male Ratio?

1. filtered_light

filtered_light Valued Member Member

Hello! I'm going to be buying more peppered corys to increase from my current 3 to a proper school of 6+
    I'm pretty sure I have 1 female and 2 males now. What sex ratio would make them the most happy and comfortable?

I've read that it is 2 males per female for breeding. I'm not very concerned about breeding. It would be fun to have a few fry once in awhile but not planning to deliberately breed, and mostly expect eggs will get eaten. I've also read posts in which owners talk about their corys like they have paired up, which would suggest a 1:1 sex ratio.

Primary goal is happy fish. Any experience or insights into what would be best?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think a m/f ratio matters with corys to make them happy and comfortable as long as you have a large enough shoal of the same species.

3. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

I believe the 2:1 ratio male to females is so that you don't have too many males harassing a single female - which could cause stress and injury.

I don't think you generally have to worry too much about M/F ratio though. If randomly selected the ratios should be just about right.

4. OP
    OP
    filtered_light

Thanks!

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

With corys if you want to breed them then more males than females is best, though ratio really doesn't matter if you just want a happy group, then the more corys you have the happier they'll be :)

6. OP
    OP
    filtered_light

Thanks Coradee! I'm going to have at least 6 peppereds soon.

I'd love to get a few more, but am worried about overstocking, with 10-12 glowlight danios and 6 peppereds in about 23ish gallons. (Was advertised as 28g, but it isn't really I don't think.) I put in a ~1L bubble filter with sponge and cycled seachem Matrix, as well as a seeded Fluval that filters 10x per hour. And it will be heavily planted. Currently everything is small compared to max size, but not sure how big the peppered will get long term. I've read 1.5" for males and 2.5" for females... right now I have a female who is under 2" and 2 males each under an inch. Danios will be less than inch each.

Advice welcome! (But no pressure) :)

7. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

Yep with Cory's you want more males than females if you want to breed them. Quite the opposite of most other fish. However in my experience with just one good male and female, they will breed.
    Peppered Corydoras get big. I think 6-8 for your tank would be a good number.