Corys or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon tank with a 1 1/2inch Green terror, a 4 1/2inch Jack Dempsey, a 3inch Jack Dempsy, a 2inch Jewel, and a 8inch pleco not sure what kind. My pleco has gotten lazy and algae now grows on my gravel. I was wanting to know if I had room for 3 corys. I read that they get along with SA cichlids if you get the right kind. I also know there will be more waste in my tank but I do weekly water changes to take care of that. So to Cory or not to Cory? That is my question.

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!!! Good to meet you!

Cories need to be in groups of six or more, and I'm mainly worried about the aggressiveness of the cichlids. Also, cories do better on sand, they can hurt themselves on gravel. And I don't think I've noticed my cories ever eating the algae..... someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
If it helps my gravel is sorta fine and is very smooth there are no jagged pieces. It's high grade stuff.

mikerox29

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would say that the temperement of the cichlids is going to be the deciding factor in whether or not the corydoras will survive. Also, i believe you will have to look into a species of cory that can stand the temperatures of the cichlids involved

They will work with gravel but ii think they act more natural with sand. I recently got some corys in a species only tank with sand. The sand was thicker in some spots and thinner in others until I got the corys. I swear they have made it completely level haha

Last edited by a moderator:

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
My cichlids are still juvenile and I read that if they grow up together they will be ok. But you don't think it would be overstocking my tank?

mikerox29

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't really know if i would call it overstocked. An important factor however would be the type of pleco you have in there. Some stay small and some grow to ridiculous lengths. They also produce a heavy bioload. The bigger the species of pleco the more of a bioload they will produce so it sort of depends on that for me. Are the jack dempseys both male? or male female? or female female?

I have read the same in regards to them growing up together but I believe there will still be a risk involved

Last edited by a moderator:

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
I believe they are both female if I'm sexing them correctly and my pleco has a super armored body so I think it might be one of the ones that gets 24inches. I also read that when they get huge they just lay around and do nothing so I wanted a backup cleaner. If he gets too big he'll probably be taken out.

mikerox29

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes I mean it does sound ok to me but you will have to wait for others to chime in. I think he could possibly also outcompete the corys for food in this situation

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
He's usually fine on food. He eats the cichlid pellets off the top of the water because the big Dempsy steals his algae tabs. Lol

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Corys aren't algae eaters so won't help with your algae problem, I also wouldn't keep them with your stocking as your fish grow the corys could be picked on.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Why not rehome your current pleco and get another one that's a good sized juvenile or even a full grown or almost full grown BN pleco? I was going to suggest Siamese Algae Eaters but i wouldn't feel comfortable with the jewel in there.

Edit: Just realized you have a green terror as well, so definitely not a good idea for SAEs

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
I read that there are corys that do play very well with SA cichlids I'm just worried about overstocking. Aggression isn't a problem right now. The most aggressive thing in my tank is a jewel that thinks he's big until my big JD swims by my other fish are fine and pretty sociable. When I introduce the smaller jewel and GT my dempsys actually seemed maternal towards them like they were their babies.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You only have one SA Cichlid in there, the GT. The Jewel is African, and though it will be the smallest fish at maturity, it could turn into the most aggressive fish in the tank. Dempseys are Central American, and there are no CA Corydoras, especially in Mexico where the Dempsey originates.

I would not put Corydoras in that tank. I agree with the suggestion of changing Plecos. BN are better algae eaters throughout their lives, There are a number of species that would work.

AceholeConkwroids

Reaction score
I'll probably take the jewel out then the pet store clerk said it was South American and sold it with my GT.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They will tell you anything to make a sale. Case in point, they tried to trick me into buying a common pleco last night labelled as an "orange striped pleco". Never believe what they say!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom