Corys not liking sand?

Sappy

Hey guys, I have been having some problems with my cory catfish for the past few months. I initially had them on Eco Complete substrate, but changed to play sand after their barbels eroded away. I'm still not 100% convinced that the Eco Complete caused the erosion since they all started eroding rapidly and at the same time despite them being on it for awhile and I didnt get all the corys at the same time. Anyways, I changed it to play sand that I bought at Lowes, but there hasnt been any improvement, in fact they seem worse. My panda corys completely lost their barbels and eventually died, my other cory's barbels range in size, but it looks like the tips of their fins on the bottom are kinda getting eroded from the sand. Ive also noticed they very rarely sift through the sand anymore, and sometimes when they do, they kinda flip out likes its painful for them.

So is it possible that the type of sand is the problem, I have seen someone say not to use play sand before. What else could it be? I did notice the barbel erosion first started when I started using Seachem Excel, has anyone had a similar problem with that? My levels are all at 0 except nitrates which are about 10-20ish and temperature is in the high 70s.

Heres some pics of one of them with eroded barbels.

20191027_220808.jpg
20191027_221102.jpg

FishDoctor1

Hmmmm, this is strange. Cories generally prefer sand to most other substrates. I suspect that a bacterial infection could be to blame. You’re gonna want to make sure you’re keeping your substrate extra clean, stirring the sand every now and then to prevent gas pockets, and doing large water changes (think 40 percent) every week. Sand can be especially tricky to keep safe for your fishes since all the nasty stuff stays right on top. If that doesn’t work, maybe try talking to your LFS about dosing with some antibiotics. Best of luck, my fishy friend!

Sappy

I have considered that it was possibly a bacterial problem, and I have dosed pimafix and melafix in the past, not sure if that helped anything beside making my tank smell better though. I generally clean my tank every week doing about 30% water change, though I feel like all my fish hold their poop in until right after I clean, lol. The reason I think it has something to do with the sand is because of their fins, they look worn down on any part that touches the sand.

FishDoctor1

Huh...again, really weird. Do you have decorations that might be wearing them down? Otherwise, I don’t really have many more ideas..maybe call your LFS and ask them a few questions? I’m really sorry, and I wish you and your little pals the best of luck

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sappy
Replies
Views
PatRat22
Replies
Views
Hubba7
Replies
Views