Corys Looking Skinny

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by kayla.s, Apr 11, 2018.

1. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Recently noticed that my Corys look a little under fed and it's concerning me. I feed sinking pellets daily and blood worms once or twice a week but most of my other fish get them first. I've tried tieing the blood worms to something sinkable but the Corys are still always last to the party...
    Any bright ideas?

2. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

Be sure to feed your corys after lights out. That way the other fish won't get to it first. You say sinking pellets, are they shrimp pellets or just some kind of fish food? Corys thrive on shrimp pellets since they are meat eaters and not veggie eaters.

3. OP
    OP
    kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

They're not shrimp pellets, it's tetra prima. Quite sure the protein content is high :) but I will try the feeding at lights out, thanks

4. FishMich

FishMich Valued Member Member

I’ve had the same concern about my cories getting enough to eat. We feed them shrimp pellets but my platy and guppies go straight for the cories’ food. Even tried feeding an hour after lights out, the livebearers woke up and went straight after the shrimp pellets.

The only thing that has been working is crumbling the shrimp pellets and sprinkling them in at the same time as the livebearers get their flakes and pellets. The piglets still come down looking for the cory food, but I feel like the cories don’t look starved. Another thing I do for insurance, is twice a week I feed freeze dried bloodworms and brine shrimp and the crumbled shrimp pellets. I soak the brine shrimp and bloodworms in garlic guard for 10 mins. It’s the only time the livebearers are completely distracted as the bloodworms tend to float and they apparently like those even more than the shrimp pellets.

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Any pics ?

6. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

yep, pics are always welcome and often necessary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice