Corys in cold water

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey so as some know i have a cold water tank, my brother has a tropical which he is now selling he has six corys two are albino not sure on the others he wants me to keep some, all his other fish i know cant go in cold water but.i heard corys can? Not sure if its true, so wanted to check before he tries putting them in my tank! Thanks

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What kind of Cory’s ? Hi think a few species can handle cooler water. Pandas I believe can. Look up cool water Cory cats n it should give u a list of their temp ranges

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Sarah1230ox said:
Hey so as some know i have a cold water tank, my brother has a tropical which he is now selling he has six corys two are albino not sure on the others he wants me to keep some, all his other fish i know cant go in cold water but.i heard corys can? Not sure if its true, so wanted to check before he tries putting them in my tank! Thanks
I think Salt and Pepper Corys can go in Coldwater too

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I’m assuming this ‘coldwater’ tank is indoors so we’re talking temperate rather than really cold, what is the tank temp kept at?
The albino corys your brother has are most likely C.aenus & they can handle cooler temps, if you can find out what others he has or get a pic of them & we can ID them that would help.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Coradee said:
Hi, I’m assuming this ‘coldwater’ tank is indoors so we’re talking temperate rather than really cold, what is the tank temp kept at?
The albino corys your brother has are most likely C.aenus & they can handle cooler temps, if you can find out what others he has or get a pic of them & we can ID them that would help.
Hi yes indoors the temp depending on weather can be between 21-26 c. Ill try get some pics of the others now!

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
Hi yes indoors the temp depending on weather can be between 21-26 c. Ill try get some pics of the others now!
Is this the tank temperature or air? If that's the temperature of the tank then it isn't really cold water. 26c would actually be too hot for some types of cory.

OP
Sarah1230ox

Sarah1230ox

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
BottomDweller said:
Is this the tank temperature or air? If that's the temperature of the tank then it isn't really cold water. 26c would actually be too hot for some types of cory.
The thermometer is outside so.i guess air? Ir rarely gets to 26c only when we are lucky to get hot weather over here he might be keeping the tank now so! If i wanted to buy my own corys would panda cory be my best bet? What about pygmy corys

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sarah1230ox said:
The thermometer is outside so.i guess air? Ir rarely gets to 26c only when we are lucky to get hot weather over here he might be keeping the tank now so! If i wanted to buy my own corys would panda cory be my best bet? What about pygmy corys
Do you have a thermometer for the actual tank?
How big is the tank?
What fish do you currently have in it?
Cories like soft sand or small rounded gravel so if you have sharp gravel it may be best to avoid them or swap out your substrate.

New Threads